Crossmember Bolts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crossmember Bolts

OK, here's the deal. Removing crossmember on my YJ, with much PB Blaster, Heat, 18" Breaker Bar, BFH, and an Air Impact was able to remove 5 bolts. Number 6 however is still in there and the head is stripped out hollow. Is not responding to air chisel, extractors will not fit it, and I can't get a larger Hex in there anymore...

Should lossen all five, lower it enought to get a cut off tool in there and cut it off? If so what are my chances of getting the remainder of the bolt out? If not, can I drive with 5 of them? ( Realistically).

Any ideas welcomed!!!

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:57 AM
sas87yj

Re: Crossmember Bolts

yeah you could maybe take out the 5 and let it hang-see if you can saw it off with a sawsall or hacksaw. i would like all 6 bolts holding it up but 5 should be ok. if you can get it cut and drop skid-plate you could drill a hole in bolt for an extractor but it mauy be too rusted.
steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Try heating it over a fairly long period of time with low heat. What you want to do is heat THE BOLT and not much else. Give it some time for the heat to soak all the way to the end of the bolt. It should be cherry red when you quit. Then GO AWAY for several hours so the bolt can shrink back farther than it was. The heat will swell the bolt and crush some of the rust. Then when it shrinks back it will be looser. If the head is screwed up now you may have to weld on a hex nut, THEN wait for the bolt to assume ambient temp and give it a try.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If that fails, my crack moonguy bolt assault team is standing by. Five trained moonguys who can handle just about anything. Find them a good hotel with circular beds and a lot of moonchicks for their after hours enjoyment.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well it's out.... Slow heat as mentioned above, then cut 2 slots in the bolt with a dremel, then used the air chisel to back it out....

Used half a jar of Anti Seize when they went back in!

Thanks for the help!

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode