Harmonic Balancer 360 Auto Manual Same? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Harmonic Balancer 360 Auto Manual Same?

Is the harmonic balancer on a Jeep 360 Auto the same as the one mounted on a 360 manual transmission? My local junkyard landed a couple of FSJ. One of them has a manual (J-truck) and might be able to get the flywheel. Do I need the harmonic balancer also? One of the FSJ's has the Buick 350 and the auto tranny, I think it would be a Turbo 400. Anybody interested in the other parts? They are located in Central NC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 08:53 AM

Re: Harmonic Balancer 360 Auto Manual Same?

I'm pretty sure the balancer is the same. Most of the balancing is done internally or at the flywheel. The flywheel I had for my 360 was balanced after the engine was.

'86 CJ-7, 360, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Harmonic Balancer 360 Auto Manual Same?

Hey- All the harmonic balancer does is to keep the correct weight in balance for the rotating assembly(crankshaft,rods and pistons) of the motor. Due to the internal intertial loads created when a mass of cast Iron and steel is rotating at whatever RPM with an "explosion" at the farthest point of the parts you will get a vibration that can destroy the whole thing, which is only floating on a minute film of oil. This two piece balancer take(supposed too) up the vibrations and controls the setup to keep it smooth as possible from a massed produced parts. The only reason people are always so concerned about weights in the flywheel/flexplates are that they are changing from automatic/standard=standard/automatic, or the motor they have recieved has a missing flywheel/flexplate for there swap. This flywheel/flexplate does also have a weight on it also which helps with the vibrations.
In a internally balanced motor the factory has 'balanced' the motor from the factory has all of the rotating assembly taken to a machine which the will weigh all of the individual parts and take of the necassary metal to match the lightest of the parts(pistons+rods). The crank will be put on a machine like a lathe or tire balancer and spun to make the necassary weght removal or addition also; same with the flywheel/flexplate and the harmonic balancer. This is true for all motors and makes. Make sure when you are asking for a flywheel/flexplate make sure you make the preference of which one its a simple mistake made by everyone.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode