ID np205 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ID np205

How can I tell that i'm looking at an np205 or any other t-case for that matter? Remember it's up underneith a truck covered with 25 years of grease and dirt.
Miles

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ID np205

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The NP 205 is a massive cast iron case with a round cover right behind the front output when viewed from the rear. It also has a fairly long adapter to the back of the tranny. The single shift lever is mounted on a pin which is itself mounted on the adapter section. Contact JEEPN on this BBS and have him e-mail some photos of his NP 205. The one that JEEPN has happens to be a fixed-yolk type rear output, but 205's can be found with slide yolks as well. Our FS GM has the slider. That same photo that JEEPN has also shows his tricky twin-stick adaption.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:52 AM
jeepfiend

On the back of the case there is a round plackard riveted to the case with the number stamped in it. I am sure there are exceptions, but I have not seen one yet. Watch out for the ford 205's they look similar, but the out put is on the left, unless of course you want it for a cherokee or a wrangler. Also the 205 has a fairly short rear output. Many have confused the 205 with the full time 203 unit. The 203 has what appears to be a beehive on the rear, and quite a bit of housing ahead of that. The 205 is much more compact.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 08:18 AM
I Do This For The Glory

If you can tell what it's attached to (standard or auto) and the year of the truck, I can tell you which one it probably is.

The nomenclature tag is probably covered with grease and it's on the front of the transfer, not the rear, under the shift rails. The NP203 is in the same place. They weigh about 150 or so pounds (very heavy). There is a PTO port on the left side, and the round access hatch to the rear.

Mine looks like this:

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 08:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I DO believe that in this case.......a picture is definitely worth 100,000 words.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Thanks, Jeep "N". BTW.....I STILL have yet to knock our FS GM in the head and get those boxes on the bench. Soon, soon, soon...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:43 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I was going to ask you when you needed those twin stick parts, work has been HELL lately and I haven't been able to get a thing done. Monday is the magic day I hope. I have to go back in today to finish painting the floor and then onto the QA/QC standard deviation graphs of all the lab data.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode