OT: Gen.Rienwald and NPR on Gun Control - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT: Gen.Rienwald and NPR on Gun Control

I just got this in an E-mail.....damn, I would have loved to have heard it......

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 3:14 AM
Subject: General Reinwald & The Boy Scouts Interview

BEST COMEBACK I HAVE EVER HEARD: ...

Note: This is an exact transcript of National Public Radio (NPR)
interview between a female broadcaster, and US Army General Reinwald
who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young
boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD:
We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery, and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD:
I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be
teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD:
I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before
they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD:
Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT: Gen.Rienwald and NPR on Gun Control

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Amen to that! If GUNS were the problem, then why didn't my school buddies and I shoot the hell out of every school we attended? In those days, we had stacks of guns behind the door to the kitchen in every farmhouse. The ammo was on the middle shelf in the pantry. We had shotguns, 22's, relics from WWII and WWI, pistols and just about anything that would spit out a bullet. Every weekend we shot SOMETHING, be it mudhens, rabbits, pheasants, or varmits. NOBODY even THOUGHT about offing the school bully, EVEN THOUGH we had the usual hatred that kids have for the select scumbags at school.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Maybe we didn't shoot up schools because we weren't raised on violent videos, 90% of which have a pucture of a gun on the cover.....(take a pad and pencil to a video store and check for yourself).......and maybe we weren't taught by Hollywood that every confilct can be settled by a handgun like the kids are now. And MAYBE we were witness to the destruction that guns could wreak when we saw the exit wounds in person on the game we shot, instead of just playing video-gun-shoot where you never see that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] In about 1953 or '54, the movie: "On The Waterfront" was made; and in it was a scene where the mob blows a guy away with a sawed-off double barrel shotgun. We were revulsed by that demonstration of extreme violence and we talked about it at school for a long time. Nowadays stuff like that is considered a staple of the screen.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] When I was a scout leader I took the boys two at a time to the range to shoot target 22's. In most cases they had never held a gun and their expectation was that we would spray the place with bullets like in the movies. They were always amazed at how much there was to handling firearms and actually shooting for real, not make believe.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] By the time a kid has completed high school, they have watched 30,000 hours of TV. In 30,000 hours you can get a PhD. We have given the kids a PhD in violent, consequence-free behavior......(that's what they see EVERY DAY in the movies that the scum in Hollywood make).....so my question is not: "OH, WHY do they DO that?"....my question is: "Why don't they do it MORE!" After all, we've spent 30,000 hours teaching them to behave that way.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:45 PM
Addict

That is GREAT! Do you have a link to that?

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best come back I ever heard to a female reporter.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:26 AM

Come on now... dont blame hollywood. I grew up on violent movies, violent cartoons and violent tv shows. The problem is that the parents of these kids tell them that fighting is wrong. they turn them into potential therapy patients by the time they're ten...THERE IS A TIME FOR VIOLENCE. if these kids were taught dy they're parents to fight back, and kick some ass, they wouldnt need to bring a gun to school. if you notice, its always the quiet ones. They get bullied, get into one fight, and then they get in trouble from their parents. Teach your kids to fight back, if your 90 pound weakling son were to turn around and kick the crap out of the school bullie he would feel better about himself, know he doesnt need a gun to solve his problems, and the bullie who is picking his teeth off the floor aint gonna screw with him again. most bullies are all talk and wont do anything without friends behind them.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Haven't you seen the latest? They are going to eliminate bullies.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You're right about parents teaching their kids to not fight. When I coached youth soccer it was sometimes difficult to re-train the kids to GET MEAN and go over and kick the ball away from somebody else. They had been taught over and over not to be aggressive.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When I went to skool in the late fourties and early fifties we knew exactly who was the toughest; the second toughest; the third toughest; and on down the line. That was NORMAL. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] You wise off.....you get your butt kicked......or kick some butt yourself.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

Dave I agree with you as usaul, but I have to add that society is not teaching morals. There is no respect for anyone else, its all me me me. Until society changes and people are held responsible and consequenses inforced, nothing will happen. Its a sad thing, but someone with animals that mistreats them, doesn't provide water or food, or leaves them dirty will have the animals taken away. Yet, the same people can have children where they treat them even worse, physical, mental, sexual abuse, and it is almost impossible for the children to be taken away. That is our liberal laws at work. Until this changes, we will always have these problems.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I believe the vast majority of the people do good and intend good, but that small percentage can sure wreak havoc on statistics. As we go out in time, unless changes are made, the pendulum will continue to swing in the liberal unrealistic direction.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:45 PM

That's about the best response I've ever heard. It's a shame that people who were not brought up around guns and don't understand that owning one doesn't necessarily make you a serial killer are able to abuse their positions in the media to paint a picture of the responsible gun owner as a society hating killer. Do you have a link to the original transcript? I'd love to get my hands on the whole thing to forward to many people I know.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sorry......
just didnt sound to me like this would fly in the sissy military we are striving towards today
http://www.snopes2.com/humor/jokes/reinwald.htm

~~Elusive~~
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 02:12 PM
jeepfiend

I don't care if it isn't entirely factual. That is still a great comeback to have in the arsenal. There is nothing I like to more than making liberals speechless (a very rare occasion). If a few more people could have the common sense that story conveys, what a country we would have. I think that is what the founding fathers had in mind.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode