Towing jeep on trailer with van? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Towing jeep on trailer with van?

Can I tow my Jeep on your basic UHaul car carrier (all 4 wheels off the ground type) with a Chevy van? It is a '93 fullsize conversion van with a 350. I think it even has a tow package.... If memory serves it was rated at 7300 lbs. So I know I can do it, but how hard is this going to be with my van? I've towed my jeep with a towbar before and it seemed like nothing was back there, but this will add a lot of tongue weight as well as trailer weight. Input? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Towing jeep on trailer with van?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Brian.....that U-haul will weigh about 2100, and your CJ5 is another 3200-3400 depending on what's on it. I towed our CJ7 with a hardtop and all that stuff (about 3500 pounds if not more) on a U-haul with my Grand Cherokee 4.0 Liter Auto. My Cherokee weighs UNDER 3900. I pulled this load from sea level to our mountain hideout at 4500 feet, rising 2500 feet in the last 11 miles. There WAS a spot where I had to use Lo Range in the transfer case to save my tranny, but hey, that's what us truckers do.....gear that sucker down.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:47 AM
sas87yj

dave did you drop the drive lines on the cj?
did you hook up the brakes on the cj?
just curious as i am going to tow my yj with 79 chev van 350 3/4 ton. have towed up to 33' travel trailer. have decided to drop the drive lines even though manual says you can put trans case in neutral and trans in a forward gear!
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually, we were using a U-haul, so it didn't matter, all four wheels were on the trailer. We have a Quadra-Trac drive in our CJ, so there IS no towing this Jeep without BOTH shafts removed. That's why we were hauling it. We are now in the process of designing a low cost, lightweight, Jeep trailer that would weigh under 1000# and would haul our Jeep. We could actually move our CJ with a tow truck if the rear shaft were removed and we towed front-wheels-up. Getting the front shaft off is not pleasant with this TH400 Automatic Tranny. We can disconnect the front joint and swing it to one side fairly well, but removing the tranny end is murder. If we wanted to get serious about flat towing, we would put lockout hubs in front, and then we could just drop the rear shaft. Most non-quadra-trac Jeeps have a specific mode for towing, depending on which transfer case you have. Personally, I like the trailer approach, IF the trailer is built right, and doesn't weigh too much. Those U-hauls are made for very heavy loads, so it is a lot of wasted fuel pulling one of those to just carry a Jeep. The U-haul can haul a Suburban....I've done it....my sub weighed right at 6K.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] As for the brakes....THAT is the ig problem with flat Jeep towing....no brakes. It isn't impossible to hook up the brakes in the towed Jeep, but it is technically complex. You would need an Atwood coupler on the tow bar, and a valved "tee" system so that you can actuate the brakes on the rear axle of the Jeep. The first-time installation would be kind of a chore, but once it was set up, adding the tow bar and connecting the brakes wouldn't be that tough. Having brakes would be well worth it. Just ask a few guys about hair-raising experiences with towed Jeeps[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My cousin used a U Haul 4 wheel trailor to haul a JD 2010 Diesel tractor with a front loader on it.I think the trailor was rated at
4,000 load,he had about 7,000 plus on it,and towed it from Md to Va with a 78 short whlbase Chevy 4x4 with a 250 six engine and auto tranny no less
So as much as he was overloaded and underpowered,surely you would be ok.He also used a 1 7/8 inch bumper mount ball,yes he was lucky
nothing happened,but still it shows you some what how much strength there really is in this stuff.BTW,tractor was so heavy,when it
rolled up the ramps on trailor,his truck lifted both rear wheels off the ground !! and he wanted me to go with him.....yeah right,NO WAY..

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:57 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Your van should be up to the task, but if you have the 700R4 tranny, you should tow in "Drive".</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:31 AM

Ditto. One of my buddy's took a job with Microsoft and flat-towed his CJ out to Redmond behind his Chevy conversion van. Trans is trashed after the trips through the mountains. If your trans doesn't have a separate cooler, I'd install one. Heat is the #1 enemy of autos and the 700-R4 seems to be particularly sensitive to it. I have a Ford conversion van and trailer my Jeeps with no problems.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've just always seen those uhaul trailers behind the big uhaul trucks and since they look like they must weigh an easy ton on their own, I was curious. Flat towing my jeep is nothing but I'm picking up a new one and it is QT like yours Dave, so I have to put all the wheels up. I'd thought about just using a tow dollyto pick the front wheels, but thought I'd might as well just go with the full trailer for the brakes and lights. When flat towing you can't even feel it back there until you really hit a hill, even then it isn't too bad. Tongue weight was a big concern too. Thanks again.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

79 chev van 350 3/4 ton
IF YOU LOOK AT THAT CHEV IT IS JUST A 1/2 TON.
Chev call there 1/2 tons 3/4 ton. Has always raged me.
look under it and there is a I think a 12 bolt rear end.
and I think a 5 bolt rims on your tires.
A real 3/4 ton would have a 8 BOLT RIMS and 14 bolt rear end.
the 79 might have a 10 bolt rear end.
The 93 chev van would surely have a 10 bolt rear.
From what I have heard so far I would not trust the 10 bolt rear
across the street.
A very good friend of mine bought a 5th wheel in In. towed it to
S.D. with A new chev pickup. rear was gone before he got home.
I have heard of other cases but not as close to those storys.

Back in about 77 I was working as a surveyor. They where trying to give
us a new truck a 3/4 chev. We had a 1 ton dodge 7500lbs mostly loaded.
Another crew came to take the van . when they got done loading it the
back doors would not even close .
One other thing chev van then did not have a frame till you bought a one ton.
Uibody.
One thing I do not get is if you are geared so you can tow in overdrive
what would be the point of haveing a overdrive??? I have head people cuse
there trucks because they could not tow there big boats in OD or could
not pull long steep hiis in OD.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Gregg.....I long ago quit trying to tell some people anything....especially about their cars or pickups. Overdrive is a very misunderstood thing...for darn sure...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You know what they say Gregg.....you can always tell some people......but you can't tell 'em much. IMAGINE my surprise when I walked in a shop one day in about 86 or 87 and the guy had his 3/4 ton Chevy peekup in there and the rear wheels were off. I looked in amazement....NO FULL FLOATERS! Yep, they quit using them. WOT A JOKE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] At least Ferd and Dog still do.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode