I need more ponys help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need more ponys help!

I just bought my 89 4 cyl wrangler wich is fuel injected. Obviously I need more ponys. Any proven ideas? Tell me what outcome you have had? Also what is the best (home made or sold)intake (at a decent price) out their?

Thanks. Got bit by the Jeep bug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I need more ponys Help!

Im begging for help here

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Didn't you just post to someone reccomending that they buy a 4 cyl over a 258 I6. This is ironic, anyway.

Contact Turbo City and see what reccommendations they have. I think they offer a larger throttle body.

You can make an intake out of PVC with a K&N conical filter on the end. Do a search, you will find alot of info.

To be honest, you really don't want to pump up the HP and torque alot b/c you will trash your tranny. Lower gearing and traction devices will be much better spent in a 4 cyl(even better than in 6 cyl. vehicles). The tranny that comes on a 4 cyl will not handle very much, manual or auto.

Somewhere, somebody makes a supercharger for 4 cyl. FI Jeeps. That will provide alot more power, but then you will have other issues to deal with.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah i did recomend it becouse 3 of my buddys have that in their 4 bangers and swear by their intakes. I just figured I could get better advice from the number of people that is here to help. thanks for your imput however. I do have a conflict though becouse some people say the trany is strong enough and then some like your self say it isn't

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah and also, wear would the best place be to point the filter? I assume I want cold air, not the hot air under the hood right? So what is the best location? That's legal in california

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:10 AM

Re: I need more ponys help!

If you want the clodest air and also an engine insurance policy I would make a snorkle and mount it on the top of the windshield. For more power look into Intake spacers or highflow throttle bodies, headers, cat back exhausts, dual electric fans, power chips, msd boxes, low temp thermostats, high flow air filters. If you price out it would be cheeper to swap in a 258 or even an AMC V8 than to do all these mods and have the same or even more power but loose some gas milage.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personally am a V-8 fan. You want more ponies, you need a bigger horse. You can only exercise and feed your little pony so much but it wont run like a quarterhorse it will always be a pony.

Putting in a bunch of money into a 4cyl will not get you much for the money you will spend. The truth is more motor will cost, but it is the true way to gain horsepower. Either get use to the 4cyl or save for a 6cyl or 8cyl swap.

My 2 cents,

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, I agree w/ the V-8... You could put $5000 into a 4 banger, and all you'll have is a stressed out little engine with less power and reliabilty than a $400 bone stock V-8.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 05:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Can someone give a reason for the need for sooooo much power? Sure you want your rig streetable with the capability to move some decent meats .....but I don't really understand the "bigger is better" crowd.......much like I don't understand why anyone on this board would give a hoot about losing low end torque by having too big an exhaust diameter. Heck if you've got good enough gears and T/case a Briggs & Stratton has enough torque to propell the thing. That is, in a wheelin' situation I don't see the real difference between 1000 ft/lbs of torque hitting the ground or 1250 ft/lbs when 4-500 is probably plenty (slide the #'s up or down to make yourself happy). You can get the same NV4500, Atlas ll, D44's with 5.38 gears for the 4 banger. These mods (which you'll also want to do even if you have a 6 or an 8) will bring the 4 banger up to snuff. Sure it's easier with a V8 ...but to me it's like the difference between a 20kiloton nuke versus a 40 kiloton nuke - when it comes to blowing up a postage stamp they both have the moxie to achieve 100% of the mission objective.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The power makes the difference when you need wheel speed. It should be used on... sand hills, mud holes, slippery clay climbs, and wet slick granite, and it comes in handy when pulling your buddies broken jeep,(over or thru) any of the above. There are plenty of spots I can't get thru in 1st or 2nd gear, so I use 3rd, or high range, it really takes alot of power to keep big tires spinning.

I can't recall a single time, that I wished I had less power...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode