AMC 258 Valve Cover Bolt Torque - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC 258 Valve Cover Bolt Torque

Can anyone tell me how much I should torque the valve cover bolts for my '84 AMC 258? And, does the torque need to be adjusted if I go with just sealant, and skip the gasket?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: AMC 258 Valve Cover Bolt Torque

If you still have the plastic vavle cover. I think it is 17IN pounds which is just about nothing. That is with a cork gasket. I dont use slicone on vavle covers only because it is a PITA to take off when it leaks the next time.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure, I cranked down till I was happy... several past post on valve cover replacements do a search for them. Helped me with mine.

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 03:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just replaced my stock valve cover (plastic) with an aluminum cover because a bone head of a friend misread the 28 inch pound of torque (molded into the cover) for 28 foot pounds of torque. Needless to say, his creativity cracked the valve cover.

I have to agree with pontiac. Using RTV to make a seal works but it is truly a pain. The other problem that I found with it, is that no matter how careful you are, you tend to push a lot of the RTV off the back of the head when seating your valve cover and leaks down the back of the engine soon follow.

As for the torque, I just rechecked to be sure and it's 28 inch pounds as listed on the valve cover (83 CJ7). I'd use a 1/4" drive and snug it up. Make sure you tighten the bolts/valve cover nuts evenly and a little at a time. Personal experience with the plastic cover is it contorts and will not make a good seal if you overtighten one of the bolts and then hit the rest of them.

BentMetal

83 CJ7 being worked on daily..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode