Weber 32/36...Surging/pulsing at idle. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Weber 32/36...Surging/pulsing at idle.

I took my Weber 32/36 off a couple of weeks ago to change some gaskets and clean it up. Now it is surging or pulsing(don't know how else to describe it) at idle. It's definitly at a steady rythm.
I sprayed carb cleaner around the carb while it was running to check for vacuum leaks and didn't notice any.
At the same time I took the carb off, I replaced the cap and rotor on my HEI distributor as well.
What would cause this? Where should I look first? Carb or cap/rotor?
Thanks,

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Weber 32/36...Surging/pulsing at idle.

Hi,
It's most likely the carb. Did you get all the vacuum hose reconnected to the right place? I hope you didn't use any RTV. If you got any of that on the carb, you could have made a mess of things. The carb gaskets are designed not to need any kind of sealant. If you need it, get your manifold or carb base machined. A lot of carbs have vacuum passages between the base of the carb and the manifold. If you accidentally plugged up one of those that could cause it. The 32/36 is a progressive 2bbl, right? Check to see if the secondary throttle is sticking slightly open. That can cause vacuum leak symptoms that are hard to diagnose. Which gaskets did you change? If you took the carb apart, something internal could have happened. Or you could have dislodged a piece of crud in the idle passages when you moved the carb and it is plugging something up. Or you bent a linkage rod. You might just try holding the throttles open with the engine off and hosing it down good with carb cleaner and see if that helps.

I always kit my carb if I am going to remove it from the manifold. After you do it once, you can do it in an hour and I end up with a cleaned out good running carb. Carb kits are usually only about $25 and you can check to see if you have any internal problems. For some reason I just love rebuilding carbs.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions...
I should have been a little more specific, I did Take the carb completely apart and replace all of the gaskets and pieces that came in the Weber rebuild kit.
Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about carbs, so i dont recall the names of all the pieces I replaced...basically just gaskets.
I didn't adjust the float level or anything, since i'm not comfortable enough with my carb skills.
It is very possible that some debri got in an idle passage. I'll check that first.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi again,
I hope you didn't remove the throttle plates from the shaft. Please say you didn't. These are set up from the factory to be centered in the bore. If they are not, they stick and leak and cause all sorts of problems. They almost never need to be removed. If the cleaning didn't help, I think you will need to take it to someone who knows carbs and have them fix it. Also, if you replaced the fuel inlet needle chances are good that your float level is off. If you replaced the idle needles, chances are your idle mixture is off. Get a carb book on Webers. It will tell you how to set it up right.

Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Nope, didn't touch the trottle plates. Did, however, replace the inlet needle. so it could be the float level. I have a Weber book, but havn't had time to read it yet...guess it's time.
Thanks again,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode