Starter leaking oil???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Starter leaking oil????

well at least that is the way it looks.
i have a leak coming from somewhere i can't isolate. it really looks like the starter is leaking, but that is a dry mount right?, there is no opening for lube at the starter is there?
i am going to drop the starter assuming that i have a loose oil pan bolt behind the starter. any other suggestions??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Starter leaking oil????

you're right there is no oil in the starter. clean it all off and check for leaks again.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i once had the problem with the valve cover leaking.....the oil ran down the engine and dripped off the lowest point of the motor...which was the starter.....

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep been there done that. cleaned the engine and narrowed it done to coming from below but not from the oil dipstick.
about the only place it can be is behind the starter
THANKS
BOB

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Look around your valve cover first. If your lucky you'll just have to replace it. If that's not it check out the head gasket, freeze plugs, or maybe even cracks in the head or block. Good luck!

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:19 PM
Way Outta Control

Try the following:

1. Get a garden sprayer.
2. Fill it with diesel fuel.
3. Spray down the engine, firewall, and underside of the Jeep.
4. Follow up with a good force water bath in the same area. You want these areas clean of grease and gunk.
5. Let it dry COMPLETLEY.
6. Take the Jeep out on a total 5 mile trip to a store and buy some baby powder.
7. When you get home let the engine cool with the hood up.
8. Take that baby powder and use it to "poof" the area of where you suspect the leak is at.
9. Now blow off the powder.

The powder will stick to the oil and you should be able to follow the trail of the leak. Then you'll know if it's on the outside or the inside. It's a starting point that's helped me many a years to find leaks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 08:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Check the distributer to block gasket also. I know it sounds crazy, but I had oil dripping from my starter and that is what I found. It was leaving a spot about 3" in diameter overnight.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You probably didn't want to hear this, but, the rear main seal could be the culprit as well. The flywheel/flexplate will fling the oil around inside the bellhousing and it can drip from the base of the starter. It would probably also be dripping out from the inspection cover for the trans as well.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm with Gun-Who-Smokes on this one. Leaky rear main seals will often fill the starter drive with oil. Don't panic if it is the seal. They can be fixed right in the Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] No, ......I didn't SAY it was easy or quick.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode