2wd Dodge question not a Jeep but it is a shortbed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2wd Dodge question not a Jeep but it is a shortbed

I have an 85 shortbed 2wd Dodge slant 6 and overdrive 4-speed. It has a MAJOR vibration when starting off from 1st gear. I have replaced clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, Motor mounts, U-joints, and had the flywheel turned all to no avail. I have tried aditional clamps on both the front and rear halves of the leaf springs. No problems shifting into other gears once I'm moving. It also does it in reverse. More RPM (like if I'm on a hill)= more vibration. More load = More Vibration. If I keep the RPM's low ie. below about 800 it isn't too bad but this thing has 2:94's and unless I'm level or starting down a grade it's difficult not to stall. Otherwise it runs great but I am at my wits end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the NRA! It's the most important $35.00 you'll ever spend!
http://www.nrahq.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2wd Dodge question not a Jeep but it is a shortbed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's the clutch. The flywheel may have SEVERE runout which makes it uneven and the throwout fingers will be uneven too. You need to drop the tranny, and the pressure plate, and put a dial indiactor on the flywheel, and turn it over one turn at a time and watch the needle. THAT will tell you a lot. PLUS....you need to check the alignment of the bell housing....that it isn't tilted on the engine, and that the spot where the tranny goes is in the true center. If this has a door on the bottom, install the tranny with flywheel only and check for fit-up.....noticing how the tranny input fits the crank and so forth. AND....don't forget the input shaft bearing in the tranny, check that too....both the input ball brg, AND the needles behind it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]I've always wondered if posts like this are actually questions on some techs advanced final exam.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have we all just assumed that this is a Jeep Forum?

It is listed as a Short Wheel Base and in the index is not grouped in with the rest of the Jeep Forums...

But you never see any other short wheel base vehicles (land Cruisers, Old Broncos) post here...

Just an observation

Cutch 88YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Check that again....it is definitely labeled Jeep[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to ask a Dodge question here every now and again....Why, you ask? Simple. Look at the Dodge board...its poorly attended. There are like 3 regulars, myself included, and its rare to get more than one or two replies to a post. This Short Wheelbase forum, however, has literally hundreds of posts, every day, and chances are that some of you either own or have owned a Dodge pickup at some point. Even if not, your general knowledge about clutches, for instance can carry over to just about any vehicle with a manual transmission. Catch my drift? Sometimes its the ONLY place to get the information you're looking for, and believe me, I appreciate EVERY word you guys type!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

J2J,
As difficult as it may be .......have you seen what happens if you start off in 2nd gear? If the condition disappears it would point to the internals of the trans.....although I think that you may be using the same countershaft in 2nd. As unlikely as it may seem what you describe sounds and acts like some form of hyper sensitive axle wrap.....worse in reverse.

Mike......my son has a Bronco.....so I went to the Bronco board......nice people.. like here.....but there are so few members the board looks dead compare to this one. I posted a question here and half a dozen equally friendly people told me what I needed to know within a few hours. Since most of the hard core Jeep owners have put just about every combo there is under the sun into their Jeeps the knowledge base is pretty damn broad. I'm sure a few don't like the "off topic" (read non Jeep specific) traffic .....but they are far outweighed by those like Dave and others who are more than willing to "share the wealth".

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn, shouldn't let my slow witted twin brother have access to my password....
Opps, guess I should have checked the index before posting, but I thought at one time it was not grouped in with the rest of the Jeep Forums..I just come straight into this page w/o going thru the index...hey forgive me, I bumped my head..gotta go away now...

Cutch 88YJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:39 AM
Official Historian

if you use the search, it's not referenced to jeeps.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really don't think its the clutch or any associatedwear items as all have been replaced with no change in the symptoms. When I had the flywheel turned it was only .002-.003 out (within spec.) Everything bolted-up tight with no assembly problems. The problem is much worse in 2nd gear as more RPM is required to move with the MPG friendly 2:94's. This truck mostly sat with only a very rare trip until recently. The problem developed when I first began using it regularly again. All of the aforementioned parts have been replaced since this annoyance began. BTW I posted this question on the Dodge board with only two replys. Thanks for your continued insight.

jay2jeeps

Join the NRA! It's the most important $35.00 you'll ever spend!
http://www.nrahq.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode