Going to buy a used Jeep.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Going to buy a used Jeep....

Folks, I'm going to buy a used Jeep Wrangler and I was hoping someone might have some helpful ideas for me.

I'm looking at a few different 1993-1995 6Cyl Jeeps. Is there anything in particular I should look for (aside from the obvious -- mileage)? This will be my first 4x4 vehilce. I'm trying to gather all the info I can before I make my decision.

If this isn't the right place to ask this question. Pehaps someone could refer me to another website.

Thanks -- Appreciate any input

David Sramek
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Going to buy a used Jeep....

To find one with a Dana 44 rear axle would be a real treat, pretty rare though.
They come stock with Dana 35's. They're ok for commuter service, won't put up with much oversize tire-off road romping.
All depends what you want it for.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You are definitely in the right place[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Just wait about 24 hours. By that time you will have so much input that your hard drive won't hold it. My moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] were wondering why you weren't filling out your profile[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I don't have any Wrangler answers because we have only older and then newer Jeeps but there are LOTS of YJ's on this BBS.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 03:00 PM

Just be sure you put it it 4WD to check if it works properly. Kick the tires too!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not positive but there was a switch in 94 to a larger u-joint in the front axle shafts to i believe dana 44 size, and the rear u-joint of the rear driveshaft increased from a 1310 series to a 1330 series. nothing too major i dont think. Sealed hydraulic clutch sytem (can't bleed them) went into effect between 92 and 95, not sure when or which is better. when the sealed on fails you have to get a complete assembly, you cant fix it or bleed it. That is all i can think of. kind of small differences, no changes in axles or anything major like that. good luck!
oh yeah. dana 44 rear never came in an american yj, although i have heard rumors of canadian models....

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000 RTI, Warn xd9000i
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Frankly, I'd look for a YJ that isn't lifted, isn't modifed and has a hard top. Though you can't be sure, at least you'll know it wasn't driven too hard off-road. I'd hate some guy if I bought my Jeep from him, and he treated it the way I do mine (jumping on stock springs, etc..)

Get underneath, look at the diffs (<font color=orange>pumpkins</font color=orange>), make sure there aren't too many scratches... look out for rust above the frame on the rear cross member and rear wheel wells...

<font color=blue>Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
Drive it till you break it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Deffinently go w/ the 5spd. Overdrive is a wonderful thing. I'd also look to get deeper gears. They offered 3.07's and 3.54's in 91, dont know about other years, it makes it nicer when you put on bigger tires (and you will). Otherwise, i'd go fairly stock, then your jeep can grow, as your fourwheeling skills do.
Welcome to the Clan
BJ

Hardtop is nice too

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 10:17 PM

I believe there was a change from an internal slave cylinder to an exterior slave cylinder as well. My '89 has the internal type and you have to drop the drivetrain to fix this after your brakes quit working- it sucks. The exterior style takes about an hour to fix if you take time out for drinks.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off good luck in your search. Only advise I have is try and find one as close to stock as possible, this way you only have to fix the mistakes made by Crysler and not one made by the previous owner.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:38 AM

You have the right years in mind,,, 93-95. They started putting the high output 4.0L motor in in 92, this is quite a bit better motor than the earlier 4.0L and the earlier 4.2L,,, I have both so I feel qualified to say that. This is assuming you are wanting a I-6 over the I-4. I prefer the I-6 for the power and torque, although the I-4 can be just as good for crawling if built right. The gearing options for these years I believe were 307, 354, and 410 for the I-4. The slave cylinder for the clutch was moved to the out side, (where it should be), I think in 94. You have to decide if you want the 5 speed or the auto tranny. Both are very good for these years and both have their following for wheeling. You want ot get the MOST Jeep for the buck, hard top, rear roll and tumble seat, A/C, depending on your area, I agree get as close to stock as you can and build it to suit you and your type of driving. Get under the Jeep and check for bent parts, leaks, and wear on parts. Check the shock mounts at the rear axle, these have a tendency to break on some YJ's not all. Take the prospective Jeep to a dirt lot and put it in 4H and 4L to check operation, you should be able to feel the difference in the wheel (handling), also the 4x4 indicator light should come on, but may not, (it may have a bad switch, this will not effect the 4wheel operation). The NP231 transfer case should be easy to slip into 4H at any speed, on 4L you should be below 3 mile an hour or stopped to ingage, this should pull smoothly through 4H and neutral into 4L. Listen for any clunking and popping when in 4 wheel, or 2 wheel for that matter. Good luck and welcome to the Jeep community.

GP'n
92 Cherokee Limited
87 Wrangler
78 Cherokee Cheif (War Wagon)
69 Jeepster Commando

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode