towing capasity for a YJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

towing capasity for a YJ??

My dad is looking for a tow vehicle for his boat it's a fishing boat with like a 60 H.P. engine. not to heavy I think it's called a Ranger. anyway can you guys tell me what the towing weights are for a v6 wrangler

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: towing capasity for a YJ??

It depends on tires, tranny, and gears. For a safe answere I would say 2000 lbs. max. You need to give more info. How far are you towing, how long of a boat, what is the weight of the boat, what is the toung weight???????? Stick with 2000 lbs.

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:01 PM

A YJ isn't a good tow rig at all, even if it's just a bass boat unless you are pulling it for 10 min from your house to the lake accross the street. But if you want to tow it for several hours at 65mph I wouldn't. If you are looking for a capable jeep that can tow a samll boat alright look into to XJ's and ZJ's, 33's arn't too hard to fit on them or even full size jeeps like wagoneers. we have a 99xj classic, 4.0, auto, 235 bfg's and it does alright towing an overlaoded boyscout trailer w/ my crazy scoutmaster that drives 75mph all the time, the breaks are a little weak for hard stops but a slotted rotar kit would help.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

that's what I had though I'm just trying to get him to get a convertible SUV but looks like either you can't tow with one or they're just too much $$$ to be just a tow rig, (Defender 90) I figured a Jeep would be great but I guess not I wonder how an early bronco would do with that large v8??

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:30 PM

the main problems about towing with a YJ are the tounge weight and the the total wieght of the trailer. You can't do anything about the tounge wieght with a SW jeep. Or for that matter any SW suv probally to include early Broncos. The d35c in YJs probally is the second weakest link. You can either "bolt" in a d44 from a waggie or go with a TJ w/ d44. A bronco has got the jeep majorly beat with a 9' rear and a big 8. You still have the problem of the tounge wieght with a bronco though. Good luck

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode