Tuffy console and CD player - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tuffy console and CD player

I recently installed a tuffy center console in my YJ. I went to a couple of Audio shops and they said a CD player wouldn't work. What are you guys using??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tuffy console and CD player

Most of the CD players wont work at more that a 15-20* angle. This is probobly why it won't work. You have to find a newer player that will work at a vertical angle. For now Mine is just in the dash with a removable face plate that never stays on when I'm not in the Jeep. Use the moounting strap that comes with the stereo to fasten it to the fire wall behind the dash.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have installed head units at almost a 90 deg. verticle. They work fine, just might be more prone to skipping. Do it yourself, don't pay the car audio guys to do it
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had the Tuffy console for about 3 years and have used CD players in it with out many problems. I've had JVC and Aiwa cd's installed, the JVC worked best (skipped very little as compared to the Aiwa). The only problem is skipping when hitting heavy bumps, so it's not a good thing to play a cd when off roading. You might want to spend some extra bucks and get a player with anti-skip memory built into it.

I think most audo sales people will tell you that it won't work because the players are not designed for working at that angle, but just because they are not designed to do it doesn't mean they won't.

Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most just want to sell you the more expensive unit as well, you know the one with the built in anti-skip nuclear reactor. Just buy a good name brand one, good model and leave it be.

I like my Pioneer, got it from Circuit City on about $150 off the regular price(verified it online at other stores as well). If you are looking for a good buy wait until the Sunday sales paper comes out and pick one of the ones Circuit City has on sale. They usually have at least one great buy on those things a week.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:52 PM
RCJ7

I installed a Pionner super tuner3 in my Tuffy.
And I have not had any problems.
RCJ7

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:53 PM

I have the tuffy console and an old Sanyo pull-out CD player. I also bought another basket so I could swap the same CD player from my Jeep to my boat. The CD player seems to skip more when it's cold out, but it usually works pretty well.
Bob in Ma

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 06:29 PM
Old Hand

Before you buy one just test it to see if it works at that angle. I put my stock Acura CD head in my tuffy. Of course I tested the CD player before I bought the tuffy to make sure that it would work at that angle.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am looking at an Alpine CD with flip face. My friend in Florida, Canis, has an older player in his CJ and seems to work pretty well. I have an amp in my Jeep, from before i got into wheeling so im going to keep it. Thanks for the imput guys.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:09 PM

Check out this Aiwa in dash MP3 Player. I guess it'a bout $250, but it will play 10 hours of music on 1 disc..a guy was asking about it's suitability in a Jeep...
http://pub49.ezboard.com/faiwacdcmp3...opicID=9.topic
bob in ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode