Help I need a contraption... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:22 PM
Robert87yj

Help I need a contraption...

I took my gas tank off this weekend in preperation for the MPI install. In the process, I had to take my tow hitch off. I snapped both of the bolt heads off of the bolts that thread up into the frame ends. My dad says to drill and re-tap the holes, but I want to get around that if I can. I don't like the idea of heating the bolts with a torch, but I will as a last resort. I have thought about welding a nut on the end of the exposed bolt, but I'm worried that it will just snap off again next to the frame, then drilling it out will be a necessity. Normaly I would spray some penetrating oil on it and then let it soak in over night. Usualy, the next day the bolt would come off with vice-grips and a little umph. The problem I am running into is that the exposed bolt is comming out of the bottom of the frame. Is there a way to get that oil to penetrate with out constantly spraying it, or turning the jeep on its top(just kidding).

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help I need a contraption...

A welding shop will get it out for you for small fee but all they will do is weld a nut and use a little heat like you said. It has worked pretty well for me. Other than that i dunno.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I would send my best welder-moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] over to help, but he's busy welding up a broken tanker in the Persian Gulf. You can do this yourself using stick electrode OR wire. Weld an oversized nut on...really burn that sucker in there...getting the whole bolt good and hot....then GO AWAY.....go watch the latest video of NASCAR racing or something...and don't come back till the bolt has reached ambient temp again. THEN...put a socket on it and go back and forth...carefully at first...till you get a rotation and then presto! spin it on out! Of course you have burns on your forearms which will be with you for LIFE, but hey, that's weldin' kid![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:46 PM

Guess what man, I did the exact same thing!!!
The first thing I did was the most logical, drill a hole in the bolt and use an extractor, seems easy right. Well, needless to say, I broke the extractor off inside bolt, oops! Then I drilled several small holes around extractor to get it out, some of these small holes probably went into the nut on the frame since I was running out of room. I After I got the extractor out, I used a bigger extractor, now that I had a bigger hole. I commenced to cranking, now I broke the nut loose from the frame, surprise! Anyhow, I got it out and was left with a hole in the bottom of my frame with no nut welded to it.
Here's what I did. I brazed (didn't have a wleder at the time!) a bent up coat hannger to the end of a nut and fed it down into the frame through a hole in the bottom of the frame a foot or so from the back end (I got the old nut out through this same hole using a magnet BTW). I was able to position the nut over the hole and get the bolt started. Since I brazed the living hell out of the coat hanger and nut, the coat hanger kept the nut from spinning and held up to the torque required to bolt the hitch on. Now that's a contraption! Email me if I can help any, I feel your pain! The coat hanger is still in my jeep!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:46 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have never tried this, but my uncle swears it works. He rebuilds on cars into street rods, and uses this method to get the old bolts off without damaging the metal or the bolt. He says to use a propane torch, hand held, not a cutting torch. Get the bolt hot, but not cherry red. The he puts a candle (regular wax candle) on the edge of the bolt, supposedly the wax travels up the threads and allows the bolt to be unthreaded. I guess he lets the bolt cool down before he removes it. Like I said, I have never tried it, but he swears it works. Good luck in any case.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:54 PM
Wrangler88

OH MY GOSH! BOTH MY JEEPS DID THAT WHEN I TRIED TO GET THOSE STUPID BOLTS OFF!! i wonder if its a factory recall?? anyway good luck if you can find a really really easy way let me know, i don't need the bolts holes yet until i finish my custom bumper sometime within the next month or so, but when i do it'll be time to get the drill out, good luck, and if u get yours out u can come over and do mine if u'd like
have a good one!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had the same problem, here is what i did:
drill a hole just large enough to fit a jigsaw blade into directly into the crossmember where it caps off the frame...use your jigsaw and cut 2 slits from top to bottom and across the top or bottom....bend the now formed flap in the crossmember to reveal both nuts...chisel them out and weld 2 brand new nuts in the frame, if you want, you can even add a piece of flat iron inside the frame for more support, (depends on how much stuff is attached to the bumber)...bend the flaps back down and weld shut. Make sure you cut into the crossmember and NOT the frame itself!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 02:54 PM
Robert87yj

thanks for all of the suggestions and stories. I feel a little better about having snapped them off after the smilar testimonials. It's raining this afternoon so I won't be able to get much done. But when the weather is gone tomorrow, cross my fingers, I'll get out the ol' propane torch and heat it 'um up. If that doesn't work , then I'll get out dad's mig welder and put a good nut on the ends and then apply some umph! Not all at once though, slowly so I feel better about it if they snap off again.

Thans again for all of the support.

<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 02:58 PM

I have heard of that wax trick before, some people swear by it! I'll be trying it on my next broken bolt.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 04:06 PM
Robert87yj

Maybe I'll try the wax trick first. I guess it couldn't hurt. If it doesn't work it will end up burning off if I heat the bolt up enough any way. The sun has come out afterall and it is drying up out side. I might get a chance to go out and try it before the sun goes down. If it works I'll be sure to keep you guys/gals(if you are out there) posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode