Paintjob in a can. My recent project and opinions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Paintjob in a can. My recent project and opinions

Well, since last Friday I've been doing body work and painting the front third of my Postal Jeep. I removed the hood and both fenders, but left the grill in place. I sanded everything down with some 100-grit sandpaper. I used 'Victor's Miracle Patch' on the small holes in the grill, and when that hardened I used Permatex's 'Liquid Steel' over it to get a nice smooth surface. This worked out alright but due to my lack of expirience (and care...) you can tell there was work done if you look closely enough. The fenders are fiberglass so I just taped them off and shot them with paint. I probably have five layers on them now. I have two layers of bedliner sprayed into the wheel-well surface. I have yet to spray the engine-bay surface with some high-temp paint. The hood I used more 'Liquid Steel' on in a couple gouges and it tuned out better than the grill. I sprayed over the old paint with a few layers of primer, then taped off the raised center and sprayed the two outer portions. I have yet to spray the center portion to match the fenders and grill. I primered the grill and then taped off around and behind the grill-slats and sprayed it with a few layers of paint. I let it sit for a day and taped it off and sprayed the surrounding area. I zip-tied the fenders back onto the body and set the hood on them to take these pictures and give you an idea of the paint scheme I'm trying to get. They are at the bottom of the page...

Misfit

By the way, I used all Duplicolor paints, primers, and bedliner straight from from Wal-Mart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Paintjob in a can. My recent project and opinions

I like it, get some closeup pics of your paint job for us.

First time I saw that thing I said, "Man, that is a lost cause". You've proved me wrong. Good work.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:38 PM

Looks good, Love the DJ and I like the walmart theme, it needs a walmart bumper sticker some where. How do you get anywhere with both your jeeps down?
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

So Bryan,
When are going to convert to 4 wheel drive?? The job looks good. You should add a roof rack to the postal. I was going to do that with my old hard top for cj5, which people said looked like a mail jeep on acid.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 04:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Looking good, keep it up.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Last summer we completly sanded and painted my CJ. Total cost: 16.00. I used gloss white rustoleum and prepped it pretty good. I then bought new decals and plates(AMC,Jeep,CJ-7,etc) and rolled with it. Everyone at the Jamborees kept asking me where I had it painted at. I think it looks pretty good. And, the best part....touch-up paint is available at any Wal-Mart in America!!!!($2.67 a can) Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:09 PM
sas87yj

sycho-
i admire your ingenuity and energy![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you seem to really get off on mechanics and fixin' your jeeps! keep up the good work and your own personalized style.
steve

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the positive responses guys. I have to admit though that I chose the easiest part of the Jeep to start with. There was very little rust on the hood and grill, and none on the fenders (being fiberglass and all.) The white paint took a couple cans to get good coverage over the red primer, so I will have to buy more paint soon. The blue covered much better, I just started on a second can to finish up the grill, and there are many areas on the fenders where I had to wipe off a run and go back and re-touch it. I'm painting by the motto "If it looks good from the next lane over, its good enough!" I'm going to start doing body-work on the cab now and let everything else dry up real well in the garage. It is pretty rough to the touch, not smooth by any twist of the imagination! Does anyone know of a clear-coat I can apply to protect it, or would a good coat of wax do enough? I've got a whole unopened bucket of Turtle Wax from way back when I first bought my Wrangler...

As to how do I get around? Wal-Mart is only about a mile or two from me, so I could walk, ride a bike, or skate down there...but I've just been driving my mom's '87 Buick Le Sabre. Its good on gas and has cold AC (and yes, its been hot enough in Florida for a while now that AC is needed...) With this next paycheck (should be in the bank by the time you read this) I'll be able to buy a new rear brake-line and a few other less critical parts to make the Postal street-legal again and become the daily driver. "Street Legal" in Florida is a very vague term.... Basically if you can manage to get around without getting in a wreck, anything goes!

As for a 4x4 conversion...nah. Most likely when I've made it a really nice ride I will sell it and spend all the money on the real "big item" tools. A welder, tubing bender, drill-press, air-compressor, etc...

A roof-rack, now there is a good idea. All I really need though are a couple bars to hold surf-boards and sailing equipment. I think I can whip up something appropriate out of some PVC pipe....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Talk about a jeep lean... jesh..

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

LOL, Muddynut! The Jeep sits perfectly level, but the grill has some serious issues!You also have to remember that the fenders were only zip-tied to the body in those pictures. I'm going to shim the grill with some washers or something so it will sit level again....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode