Has your Jeep injured you? O/T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has your Jeep injured you? O/T

The other day I was pulling the transmission out of my Jeep and at somepoint it decided to come out by itself and fall off the jack. The transfer case took a chunk out of my hip (I know that I'm not the brightest crayon in the box). It could've been worse though, the whole dang thing could've hit me or it could've broke the $400 bellhousing. Anyway my question is: What has your Jeep done to injure you?

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Has your Jeep injured you? O/T

So far it's just been bumps and bruises on my head from working underneath it.

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:44 PM
Old Hand

Well, besides hurting my wallet...
I did slip with the wrench once causing me to take the skin off my knuckle down to the bone. About a 1/4" circle of skin was gone. That hurt like a mother and took forever to heal. Plus seeing my bone made me naucious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:00 PM

Was in the wheel well one time trying to brake a nut off of something (calipers maybe?) and it was being stuborn. Got out the long handled 1/2" ratchet and started at it again. The nut broke loose and the ratched came up and hit me square in the forehead, knocked me out for about 10 sec and put about a 1" gash in my head with blood everywhere. My dad and my brother were laughing their a55es off!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plenty of bloody knuckles, a couple bruises, and a couple missing fingernails. Guess I've been lucky! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was removing my drag link from my pittman arm on the steering box and when it popped loose my left hand flew and hit the sharp side of the oil pan. My left middle finger was cut down near the bone across the whole finger right on the knuckle nearest the end. My hands were covered in grease from the drag link end having been leaking around the dust boot. I had to go to the ER to get stitches, covered from head to toe in grease, oil, and grime. I got some interesting looks. The doctor gave me four shots and proceeded to scrub it out with some kind of brown stuff and a gauze pad. And I do mean scrub. It hurt like hell, even with the shots. It hurt more than the cut, the shots, and the stitches put together. I ended up with two stitches, some excellent pain killer, and a nice white bandage covering my middle finger, which made gesturing for the next few weeks really effective. Luckily the doctor did a good job and I don't even have a scar since the cut fell right on one of my wrinkle lines.

Another time I made the mistake of starting the engine with it in 1st and 4L instead of neutral, right in front of my garage with the door open with me standing on the passenger side leaning in. Of course, it fired right up and starts chugging into the garage toward the back wall at about 1/2 mph. I got it shut down right before it hit the shelving and the natural gas furnace in the back of the garage, after having had the rear wheel run right over my foot. That felt good. Luckily I was wearing boots. In 4 L my jeep has enough torque that you can park it against a tree with the engine idleing in gear and it will just spin the wheels. Or go up the tree. I always get in before I start it now.

Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 06:36 PM

If nobody else knows the real answer I guess I'll have to spill the beans.
The jeep was actually invented by a gentleman named Baron Von Dracula.
I bleed every time I touch mine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 06:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the hurt wallet, and i have crushed almost all of my fingers and mangles all knuckles, but all I have to say that i am so glad i got a lift for my jeep. It really saves me from all the bang-ups that i got when the jeep was lower.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:08 PM
Old Hand

55cj5- You can spin the tires in 4 lo with no gas. Are the front hubs unlocked, or is it spinning all of em? Your spinning them on dirt, right? I need to make my truck have more torque, did you do anything to the engine, or just put real low gears for the tires? I can stall it in 2wd in the snow.

John

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:48 PM

I had the tranny incident happen to me too. Except my transfer case landed square on my chest. I had to sit there for a minute...then press the sucker off me and hold it up while rolling the jack under it. Not too much fun..left some pretty nice bruises.

Other than that just the usual busted knuckles..

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode