what engine would you rather have? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what engine would you rather have?

I am wondering what to look for engine wise for a wrangler. Obviously I would rather have a 4.0, but those Jeeps are too expensive. So what would you rather have a 4.2 carbed six, or a fuel injected 4 banger (91 and newer so mpi). The Jeep will be used both on road and off, so highway driving and mileage is still relatively important. I would like to get 15 mpg even though that would be really high for a lifted Jeep...maybe impossible. What do you guys with 4 bangers get for mileage? I really want something fuel injected, considering every vehicle I have owned is carbureated, I think I'm ready to step up to technology of the late 80's
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what engine would you rather have?

More tranny choices, much better torque, infinate possibilities for the engine, stronger components, mean sound when tuned correctly, classic. 258's rock! If those are what you are choosing from get the I6, you won't regret it. 200k is not unheard of with that engine without a rebuild. There is just so much you can do with that engine. The only bad point is the carb, the Carter BBD sucks. Replace it with a Webber, Motorcraft 2100, MOPAR MPI, or Howell TPI. Then no worries.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love my 258. 166k mi without a rebuild, burns 0 oil, not a single problem w/the engine at all.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snipped this from a reply on my local club's board:
"Anyways, the 4cyl does have it pro's: lower gearing right from the factory, and having less power means having to learn to wheel the right way: slowly, pratcially, and deliberately, rather than just flooring it and using the extra power and torque to bounce, fly and blow through obstacles which would inturn equal more breakage. It's
also significantly cheaper than the 6cyl off the lot. If the 6 bases nearly 3 grand more...don't you think you could put that money into, lift, tires and lockers...that in comparison would be completely unmatched on the trail vs a stock 6cyl. All that power gets you nothing if you can't put it down, or keep getting stuck. For the people that want the 6 because it has more power and speed...by a car; last time I checked, not many people were out at the track trying to dial in their jeeps for a low ET. =) In fact if I lift my jeep and add big tires, speed is something that shouldn't necessarily be viewed as an extremely safe combination, if you still want to obey
the laws of physics. And, if I'm out away from the hells of everyday life, why exactly would I want to go faster on the road...just so I can get back to reality sooner? I gaurantee their isn't one time other than plowing through mud that I would expect someone to say: "You woulda made through that easier wihth a 6 cyl."

I think it is written well and makes some good points. I personally have the 4.0 HO and love it. I've owned a 4 cyl YJ and if you do any type of highway driving, it takes some getting used to.

'94 YJ - 4.0, 6" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:28 PM
Old Hand

I had a 98 TJ with a 4 cyl. and got about 15 mpg with 30" tires. 5th gear was completley useless. The milealge's are pretty similar since you're standing on the gas if you go over stock size tires. My 4.0 now was down to about 10mpg with 35" tires and 3.73 gears until i put on the K&N, free flow exhaust, and power chip. That's got me back up to about 14-15 mpg.

Got MUD?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:25 PM

Look for a good deal on a 4.0 jeep, my 97TJ sport has the 4.0, auto, ac, hard top and 50k I lucked out and got it for 12995, the place mispriced it, also some people will sell things really cheep because they are dumb, look around and you could probably find a jeep you want for a price you want.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you choose the 4.2 liter get ready for the fight of your life. Ah just kidding watch out though i took one apart. the engine had 130,000 on it and had two cracked pistons that made the strangest noise i have heard yet. Also stay away from 87 to 89 yjs with the peoguet trans. it is a 5 speed manual that is a real pain in the a**.
in my 4.2 the best mpg i ever had was around 18 and now i'm lucky to get above twelve. after regearing and putting on a 4-barrel carb setup.

good luck in your endeavor and choose wisely or plan on fixing the whole thing

i heard though that the fours are okay but there not for me

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:35 PM

in response to the four banger article above. Two words come to mind when I read that.You can guess what they are. In that argument, while it may be true about the 3 thousand saved, and invested in lift, tires, and whatever, try driving a fully packed 4-cyl with a trailer full of camping supplies up any trail. Thats why you need a six, not only so you can enjoy a trail, but so you can actually camp there as well. And in response to his "being lower power so you can learn to wheel the right way...", Then why worry about putting 3k into upgrading it, it seems you might as well blow the money on hats. If you need to upgrade your vehicle so i can ride easily over rocks, rather than using engine power to push the wheels over them, then it seems like you are learning to wheel the easy way, and that doesnt seem like the point he was trying to get across. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, the torque in a 258 is great. It is true that most hard wheelers with a 4 swap it for an 8, but most hard wheels with a 6, leave it in....

-ben....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:35 PM

in response to the four banger article above. Two words come to mind when I read that.You can guess what they are. In that argument, while it may be true about the 3 thousand saved, and invested in lift, tires, and whatever, try driving a fully packed 4-cyl with a trailer full of camping supplies up any trail. Thats why you need a six, not only so you can enjoy a trail, but so you can actually camp there as well. And in response to his "being lower power so you can learn to wheel the right way...", Then why worry about putting 3k into upgrading it, it seems you might as well blow the money on hats. If you need to upgrade your vehicle so i can ride easily over rocks, rather than using engine power to push the wheels over them, then it seems like you are learning to wheel the easy way, and that doesnt seem like the point he was trying to get across. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, the torque in a 258 is great. It is true that most hard wheelers with a 4 swap it for an 8, but most hard wheels with a 6, leave it in....

-ben....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 89 4cyl with shackle lift on 31" and I love it.
true Highway is tricky but so what. If I want to drive on the highway I take my Honda. If i want to clim a mountain I take the jeep. Just add intake and computer chip to the 4 banger with a decent exhaust and youl be just fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode