fuel gauge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel gauge

I have a 91 YJ that modified with suspension, shackles the usual. Problem is that my fuel gauge will jump up and down like a mexican jumping bean at idle and while driving. Any one else experience this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: fuel gauge

Your gauge is going bad. I've seen this in a few of the older Chevy trucks that a relative had. The sending unit is ok, but the gauge end should have a damper in it to keep it from moving too fast. If you can take it a apart, a little bearing grease on the pivot will help, otherwise replace the gauge or live with it.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my gauge does that to it has been that way for three maybe four years it really entertains the passangers though. maybe i should sell tickets so others can laugh at the gas gauge while riding. ha ha ha

no solution for you but good luck maybe some day i will try the grease trick
but for now it will stay as the bouncing banshee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:44 AM

my gas guage has always done that, probably need to go to an after market guage to fix it?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

those gas guages are actually supposed to move? Mine is perched on the E and doesn't move. I thought they were there for decoration only.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you provide more detail regarding the damper issue and the grease fix ? My 88 Wrangler has had the bouncing needle problem for years. I thought that the sending unit ground was intermittent or else the pickup wire in the sending unit was broken . I was awaiting warm weather to drop the tank to investigate these things. Your comments are intriguing . I would prefer to work on the the gauge , but I do not know what I need to do to fix the Damper issue . Can you clarify this ?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is an article in the jeep tech pages on this and helps to trouble shoot the problems. Hope this helps.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just learned that 2 folks reported that the fix was to resolder the "G" wire at the dash gauge unit. I will try when the weather is warmer.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 10:58 PM

Not necessarily related, but a funny story: My CJ fuel gauge had gone out of commission about 2 months ago. Since it had never really been accurate (empty is actually 1/2 tank) I really didn't miss it. But last week I was up under the rear end working on my driveline, and noticed a ground wire had broken loose.

Hmmm, thought to myself, only three things need ground back here, reverse lights (never worked), brake/turnsignals, and fuel sender. So on a whim I put it back on a ground screw and viola, the next time I got in and cranked it, I had a quasi functional gauge again!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

Bluesman2a,

Where exactly was that ground wire? My guage is exactly the same, 1/2=Empty. I'd like to try what you did.

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode