Tahoe Buying Advice, to tow the Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tahoe Buying Advice, to tow the Jeep

Hey I know this isn't about jeeps, but I figure some of you have more than a Jeep so maybe you could help. I tried posting this on the GM board with no replies yet, so here it goes. This is for a 1999 model Tahoe. Anyways I have a potential purchase and I thought I would run it across to see how it sounded. The main things I wanted was cloth interior, 4wd and trailer package. It has all that and thats about all I know, 33000 miles and a 1999 model, I believe it has power adjustable seats, power windows, locks etc, rear defrost. Anyways I can get it for about $24000, a little less before taxes. Does anybody have any advice, kelley blue book says retail is $29000.
I did kind of want the new body style but I can't find any with the cloth interior and 4wd. So I guess maybe I'll take the money I will save and get a mild lift, 2.5 inches probably. Also it is a 99 so am I gonna run into major problems if I try to lift it? I hear is has an autotrac x-fer case anyone have any experience with one of those.

1986 CJ-7
SOA 2.5" Pro-Comp springs
Warn 8074
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: Tahoe Buying Advice, to tow the Jeep

check and see if it has the tow package with 7pin connector. thats the only thing i regret about my 1500 RAM. i have since overheated the tranny once, had to add a hitch ($200), wiring for trailer and brake controller ($150 for parts), added deep trans pan,cooler and filter ($250), alot of labor (i do my own), and some other things. i think the GMs come with engine oil cooler as well, not sure. just something to consider. matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah it is supposed to have the towing package, oil, tranny cooler, and bigger air filter. Does anyone know anything about the newer body styles, are they supposed to be much better?

1986 CJ-7
Warn 8074
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What engine does it have? The towing package doesn't mean squat if the ponies aren't there to pull with.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They say that the newer Suburban/Tahoe are of much better quality than previous years. I know I have had nothing but problems with my 97 Suburban. Even with the tow-package I am on the second transmission (4L60E). And the thing has more squeaks and rattles than I care to mention![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Needless to say I have been to the dealer for warranty work on more than one occassion![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So I am in the process of debating the purchase of a Super-Duty![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I understand the Tahoes all came with the same engine this year model.

1986 CJ-7
Warn 8074
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tahoes come with a vortect 350, i have a 97 with 66 thousand miles, and it has been perfect since the day i bought it. I am considering putting a vortec 350 into my scrambler for this reason. Mine does have the tow package, although i dont use it that much, cept for hauling junk from here to dump and all. But is is a great car and that is a great price.

'85 Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok thanks for the advice so far, I guess it all comes down to one major question, do you think I should go for this model or should I hold out until I find a new body style that meets the criteria I want? Basicly old vs new style which is better and by how much.

1986 CJ-7
Warn 8074
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:24 PM
JeepSage77

My dad is just about done with his leased '99 Yukon, and I have driven it a lot. We use it to pull our 20' ski boat, and snowmobiles. It tows those great. We haven't had many problems at all with it, but it also has relatively low mileage.
My uncle just bought new Yukon '01. I am not sure what towing capabilities it has compared to a '99, but I know that the turning radius has been greatly reduced. The suspension is better, and they've put a lot more HVAC outlets in them. I know this isn't great drivetrain info, but they are other things to consider.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new models don't come with the 350. That engine was phased out of the truck line with the '99 models. The new "modular" engines have replaced the 350 and 454. Displacements for the V8's are 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 (in 3/4 ton only). I looked at Chevy's website and the base Tahoe uses the 4.8 and the 5.3 is used in the LS and LT packages.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode