SYE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SYE

Hello all. Call me stupid but I need to know a little more about SYE kits. If you read my profile you will know a little about my jeep. Right now I only have a drop t/case and I do get vibes. What is the best kit I can put in this? How hard are they to put in? Do I need any special tools? The prices seem to very from $350.00 to $600.00 with a new rear drive line. If I wheel my jeep will the drive line fall out the way it is now? Seems like the drive line is only out about a 1/2 inch more now than stock. Now if I do buy a SYE kit can I take out the drop t/case kit? Do I take out the rear shims? I think they are bolted into the spring packs. Please explain to me in simple form. Thanks, Top

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SYE

Some answers:

>>What is the best kit I can put in this?

The best kits are the ones you don't have to pay a core charge for. This will not be a cut down version of the stock output shaft. So you'll pay a little more for this kit but it's better quality.

JB Conversions, Advanced Adapters, Tom Wood all make quality SYE kits.

>>How hard are they to put in? Do I need any special tools?

They aren't that hard to put in really. There is a good write-up Here on installing an Advanced Adapters SYE in the NP231.

>>If I wheel my jeep will the drive line fall out the way it is now?

Your current shaft shouldn't fall out now with shims and transfer case drop. Just keep an eye on your u-joints if you have vibes now. Actually old/bad u-joints could be part of your vibe problem if you haven't changed them before.

>>Now if I do buy a SYE kit can I take out the drop t/case kit?

Yes you can put the transfer case back up where it belongs.

>>Do I take out the rear shims?

Yes and No. Actually you need shims to point the differential pinion at the output on the transfer case. You might have replace your shims with a different size. You can get new center bolts to replace your current shims/bolts if this is needed.

Or you can cut and re-weld the spring perches to do this also instead of using shims. Either way will adjust the pinion angle to point at the output of the transfer case.

It's best to call up one of the manufactures for these kits and talk to them for a bit. They will tell you what you need to do to get all the correct angles, mesurements for new drive shaft and such.

Hope this helps...
Aaron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks allot!! That is a big help, and thanks for answering all my questions. I really like the board!!

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad I could help. I've been lurking on the BBS for about a year and have decided to start replying and helping people out when I have free time. My posts are a little long winded, but usually have the info you are looking for. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:20 PM
sas87yj

i just installed the SYE/CV in mine from tom wood. it was the heavy duty tail-shaft. there was a refund/core of $75. the up-front cost was $600. the driveshaft was a tom wood custom cv. the tailshaft housing was obviously not brand new. anyway- the install was pretty straight forward with fairly detailed instructions from advance adapters- better than the ones on tom's site. the bearings had to be pressed out of the drive sprocket- $5 at a local shop. also had to hack-saw off about 3/4" of the shift rail that protrudes from the transcase. you will be able to raise the transcase back up and install a shim to aim pinion towards transcase. i used a 12 degree shim for my RE 4.5" extreme lift. i have no vibration at all. real nice ride. i would recommend calling tom when you are ready and he will ask you for the driveshaft and pinion angles along with distance from rear seal at transcase to center pinion yoke. get a half round cheapie drafting protractor and plumb-bob type apparatus ie thread and nut.
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode