Jeeping to build character?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeping to build character??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I read the post about building character through taking risks, and MY OWN THEORY is that man has a built-in risk-taking quotient.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The ability to RISK is what kept man alive when it was VERY QUESTIONABLE if he would make it through the winter.....it was NOT always a matter of a trip to the store you know.....if man screwed up or the winter was too long, well, too bad for him![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Nowadays we have removed the risks connected with the survival of the species, so OTHER RISKS have to be substituted. When I was a kid there were a few guys who took risks, but not like it is now where there are WHOLE INDUSTRIES devoted to selling people some "risk".....sky diving; bungee jumping; river rafting.....heck, my own daughter leaves Monday for Nepal on a nine-day mountain trek. Somehow being a Harvard Professor isn't risky enough[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Anyway, getting back to Jeeps...the CHARACTER BUILDING doesn't necessarily come from the risks, but from OVERCOMING;....overcoming obstacles, breakdowns, bad luck, and faulty machinery. It also comes from FINALLY getting to where you QUIT KEEPING TRACK of every little thing like a kid does. SO WHAT if Skunky Grogan didn't get that borrowed alternator back to you; or if the master cylinder you borrowed from Lem N. Squezins is still under your bench un-returned. It isn't as if you are a bunch of crooks; you've just figured out what does and DOES NOT really matter, and you've quit worrying about it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Part of BEING AN OVERCOMER is learning what to spend time worrying about, and what really doesn't matter. In fact, instead of worrying, you need to learn to have.....RELAXED CONCERN....about some of these things, and to treat them as "ISSUES" not problems. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, you haven't done a good job of seeing the big picture. It has been said that LITTLE people talk about PEOPLE; BIGGER people talk about THINGS; and REALLY BIG people talk about IDEAS. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Character building is usually a result of a human OVERCOMING something, and by that I don't mean strong-arming a weaker person for their money.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jeepers; over time; learn to be overcomers, and they DO talk about ideas.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:42 AM
Old Hand

Re: Jeeping to build character??

Man I like the way this guy thinks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
If I had an Uncle, I would have wanted him to be just like CJDave[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Lem N. Squezins

<hr></blockquote>

Dave is so creative![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Dave,

Printed your post for my wife. She is the "worrier" you mentioned. Been trying to calm her down to a concern level so she won't blow a fuse. This will help explain what I've been trying to communicate to her.

Thanks
CJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:07 AM

i saved that to my "JEEP INFO" file. seems like alot of us function on the same level. ever thought much about: time travel, worm-holes, philadelphia experiment, other things that are rationally impossible, but theoretically possible? i work part-time with a guy that owns a machine shop (and now a jeep). we often spend hours discussing "the big picture" and other related items. thanks for the wisdom! matt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDave, you are a real asset to this board. Thanks and I really hope to get to meet you someday!

Swavy00

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My son attends Valley Forge Military Academy (you may remember this school from the movie "Taps"). Here the cadets are taught the six R's - reading, riting, rithmatic, respect, responsibility, and refinement. This school has produced people with these characteristics now for many years. VFMA is the alma mater of such distinguished alumni as author J.D. Salinger, three-time Pulitzer Prize winner playwright Edward F. Albee, former U.S. Senator Warren B. Rudman, GEN H Norman Schwarzkopf; Commander of Operation Desert Storm, former Governor of Puerto Rico, The Honorable Rafael Hernandez Colon, nine-time Grammy winner Jimmy Sturr, Jacksonville Jaguar NFL player Aaron Beasley and Rhodes Scholar Westley W. O. Moore, and many more that we do not know about.

Character education has been a major part of this schools philosophy since its inception. They know that it is not the restaurants fault if they burn their thighs with a hot cup of coffee while driving...its not the rock'n'roll musicians fault if someone kills themself because of the lyrics of music...its not the tobacco industries fault if they smoke three packs a day for 40 years and die of cancer...it is not the bartenders fault if their neighbor drives drunk and then kills himself because of crashing into a tree...it is not televisions fault if their children are brats without manners...and if a deranged madman shoots their friend, they know it is not the gun manufactures fault. The Cadets know they are ultimately the ones responsible for their actions...not someone or something else! This is what it boils down to...responsibility! Some of their other strong points are Honor, Courage and Duty.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:21 PM
Addict

Here Here.....

I’d like expand.

I like what you said about building character. I have to say thought that those with true character develop an ability to overcome, but an ability to discern right from wrong. Dave, you hit upon that when you said that the ability to overcome is not just strong-arming someone weaker.

Those with true character have what I call “to die for” issues. Those die for issues are usually faith, family and country, but may include other issues as well.

Those with true character are usually call “narrow minded” and “intolerant” in the press.

Those with true character can understand those whose opinions differ, as long as those who differ have true character as well.

Those with character respect all persons because they are human, but fail to respect those who have no character.

True character takes a time to develop, and some never do develop it. So if you’re a “newbie” and still building character, don’t despair, character takes time.... and effort. Start by talking to those who will, as Dave says, talk about ideas. Do your own research on issues, like faith, and seek the truth, don’t just grab onto the first trolley that happens by. Develop your list of “die for” issues... develop your character.

Those are my thoughts.... anyone else?

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i hate to dispell any myths here.. but.. for gods sake.. i am a marine.. and you vmi fags can take that to wish upon a star... cause i know some things.. and they aint worth more than that..
i live each day to learn.. to teach.. and come hell or high water.. i will for ever give jeep the path to travel....
you want to talk honor or commitment.. you can talk to my ass.. my grandfather taught me more than anything in the world.. and he did 4 years in the marine corp in the island hopping campain.. and hated every minute of it.. but he has a robust respect for me and my duty.. that is uncanning.. its as if he has seen the future.. i have stayed some 12 years now in the marine corps.. not for the money... not for the bennies.. not for security.. but to help young americans out.. to show them.. what is right is right.. and what is wrong is wrong.. its all black and white.. and that is what they need to see.. there is nothing more gratifying.. than some younger jarhead.. remembering me some years later.. i have not only kept america free.. but i have taught someone the lesson of thinking free...
god bless.. and good night..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 10:06 AM

I am wondering if the latest school shootings brought CJDave to write his original post. I remeber seeing the news on TV when some woman said that all this violence was because they have taken God out of the schools.... Now, I am not a religous person, but I can definately see some truth in what she is saying. Adhering to religion builds character, and the fear of God will prevent a true believer from doing many bad things.

However, the violence is not 'caused by the removal of religion, but by failing to replace it with something else that would still teach these kids morality. Yes, I know it is a parent's job, but obviously a lot of parents have slacked off immensely. So, in my opinion, the violence we are seeing today could be seriously toned down if there were simply more discipline in schools.

I went to a High School of 2500 students...in a school built to hold 1700. My last year there we got a lot of new building, and a Big Brother security camera system that would make an NSA agent smile. While my school hasn't had many serious problems (we haven't been in the news at least!) it was obvious that discipline was slipping. There was, however, an exception to this. ONE electoral class, that taught leadership skills, discipline, responsibility, and honesty had a great bunch of kids. If you were to go and look at the records you would find that the kids who took this class were in much less trouble than the average kid at that school. I am very lucky to have taken that class!

What was it? JROTC! Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, Army branch.
(I got a lot out of that class besides map-reading skills, even if I never made it above Corporal...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode