Mud like stuff in transfer case! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud like stuff in transfer case!

I was in the process of changing some seals and gaskets in my transfer case last night, but when I took the drain plug out mud like stuff came out[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. It was very thick to, about like apple sauce [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I took the pan off and let it drain over night. I want to go ahead and clean it up and put the seals/gaskets in tonight. What can I use to clean the inside of the case with???? I would like to make sure none of that stuff is left in there.

Also I'm going to go ahead and change the transmission fluid and the diffs since they are probably not in good shape either. Can I use the same type of oil in all of them??? If so, what kind?

Please give me your opinion. I would like to pick up the stuff I need on the way home from work!

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:41 AM

Re: Mud like stuff in transfer case!

the best thing i have used to clean gear boxes is kerosene just put the drain plug in filler up and let it sit a couple hours and then drain it out let it dry over night and you should be good to go i used it in my bronco II engine to clean the sludge from the bottom of the pan it worked great

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Dear Surface-Accumulation-From-Rainfall-Intrusion-Element: You MAY not have seen the posts a LONG time ago on pressurizing gearboxes to prevent water intrusion, but the reality is that a hot gearbox which takes a dunk will SUCK in water when the air inside of it is cooled by the case walls being cooled by the water that you are driving through. How about an air pump to pressurize the cases? Or a bottle of compressed nitrogen to flip on before a water hazard?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, you can use the same fluid. Make sure the vent has a tube attached to it and is up out of the way.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your definatley splashing some puddles![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Water is getting in, I would guess either from what CJDave mentioned, a leaking gasket, or a breather tube thats getting under water. I've used diesel to clean 'em out same way as the kerosene. As for the gear oil I run 80 wt. Valvoline in the diffs, t-case and tranny. I wouldn't spend the money on the synthetics if your in the water alot because you'll be changing 'em frequently. Some guys up in the cold climates use ATF in the tranny for easier shifts...rarely an issue in Texas[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode