VIN Number locations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

VIN Number locations

I have a 79 cj7 the vin is un readable in the location on the dash does anyone know whear else one may be located on that year. I checked the usual spots and could not locate anything...

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: VIN Number locations

If the vehicle has an auto tranny, it will be located on that.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:41 AM

Jeff-
There should be a 2" X 3" metal plate with the Manufacturer and VIN in the engine compartment riveted to your firewall near the fuse block and brake master cylinder.
It will be covered with the same paint as the firewall so take a good, close look.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

This brings up a question I've had for a while now. Which tag is the controlling document? If you put a new ws frame on the Jeep you have to remove that tag and re-install it. If you put a 'glass body on, you have to drill the firewall one out and put it on the new body. I gues the point is moot for me 'cause I've removed both (replacing everything) but I just wondered. Actually I didn't remove the firewall vin tag from the firewall doubler. I just drilled all the spot welds out of the doubler and I'm putting that on the 'glass body's firewall...so did I technically remove the vin tag from the "Jeep", or am I just rebuilding the Jeep from the firewall back?
Sorry for rambling.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:27 PM

The DMV might want to check the frame like they did on a friends restoration recently. They weren't satisfied with just the OEM VIN plate on the OEM body!
My bud was missing one digit on his frame ... (he'd stamped it) and he caught hell !!!
Gad, they must be really tough around here ...

On late '70's CJ's, in 5/16" high letters stamped on top of the right rear wheel frame hump in this format...
J (year)(last four didgets of VIN)
J(YY)(####)
Example for a 1977 ... J771234
I couldn't find any such stampings on my 1983 and 1984 CJ-7 frames ...
Hope you don't have THAT much trouble .... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 01:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I shouldn't have any trouble. When I bought my CJ it was a running (although rusty) vehicle. I registered it right away and have even kept up on the plate renewalls even though it was torn apart in my garage! This spring when it's done, I'll just slap my plates on and drive. I was just wondering about the technicality of the whole thing.

Mike H.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 08:17 AM
Can't Get Enough

Here's what I found or didn't. I changed frame on a '79 -7. Frame was rustprofed from dealer at purchase but in had a bad spot on right inside just aft of door before frame starts to go up and over right rear wheel. It also had some previous reenforcement of the cross member above rear axle. The '79's frame is a 3/16" channel that they welded 16 or 18 ga. metal on inside of channel to form a box. This is what rotted out. So I heard that there might be numbers on frame. I looked and looked and looked some more. And this was after I got the old frame completely bare. Nothing. Either it was rusted so bad or some of the rustprofing was really glued over it. There was very little left on the frame. Reguardless anyone else looking wouldn't find it either I'm confident. Vin swapping is illegal because it was being done for dishonest reasons, theft usually. Thus chop shops were invented. When I bought the Jeep it came from PA and had a current insp. sticker. I registered it in NJ and had it inspected. Passed. Then I started to transfer everything to the new frame. We have free inspection stations if you want to wait in line....get there early and the one in Ancora isn't usually busy. Anyway I just had in inspected with the new frame and they didnt say squat. As far as I know it is the body that goes with the vin number, or vic-a-versa. So in reality I just changed a part like a water pump. Now the body on a '79 does not have the vin number on a plate that is sandwiched in the wiper motor mounting like the '85 did that I used for parts. It just had one that was riveted(special serrated head rivets so I heard which I drilled out and replaced with stainless steel screws because there were rusty) on to the top for the grill just right of center near hood latch. The 85 also had two of them on the firewall with there corners under the master cylinder. BTW I couldn't find any numbers on the '85's frame although I didn't look as hard as the '79's. The body look on a CJ-7 did not change from '76 to '86. Likewise other models were the same over many years. My point is there are few cars/trucks that you can't tell the year from the look of it. I guess the original Volks Beetle is another. This general interchangeability is what made it profitable to manufacture a single fiberglass body. And recently the manufacture of new frames. Thus the question my wife posed..."Is it still considered a 1979 Jeep CJ-7 after I put a new frame under it and a new body over it?" If it registered as a particular year therefore it must pass that years emission testing if that is done. This just seems to be the bottom line. Of course a safety inspection applies across the board. Now we could get into liability issues with an aftermarket frame(the thing that ties most every component of a car together), and this is what I think states are looking for for safety issues. The OEM(original equipment manufacturer) takes responsibility for it's product. What about 20 years later when a large portion is rusted away and the OEM being AMC is out of business? Why you can buy something like an after market body or frame is because in this country if an accident happens and it proven that something is at fault, you can sue the manufacturer. Just make sure that what you buy is good and safe. Isn't that true where ever?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jimmy has got a good point. When building one Jeep from many parts, when does it cease to be the "original" Jeep that the vin tag was attached to? The body tub, the firewall, the firewall support that the vin tag is secured to? I have enough proof (video/photos/wittneses) that mine isn't a "Chop shop special" but others may not.
As far as the aftermarket vs. OEM frames go, I'm keeping my original frame around for a while. If anyone has an argument that the AFW frame may not be safe...I'll just show them the rusted through original and ask "Do you think THIS thing was safe?".

Mike H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode