9" rear--end question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

9\" rear--end question

I have a little leak in the rear of my jeep, and it has a 9" rear end. I was wondering if someone could tell me how the seals are set up on this rear end. Is there an inner and an outer axle seal, just an inner or just an outter? Any little bit of help would be appreciated so that i can get 'er fixed and back in the soup. I really am just looking to find out how big a job i got on my hands.

'77 CJ-5 302/T-18/35's/4" skyjacker lift/9" rear end/warn winch...my little punkin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:12 PM

Re: 9\" rear--end question

There's just an outer seal. When you pull the axle, you should see the seal inside the axle tube; it's actually farther in the tube than the bearing is. The bearing is a sealed unit that's pressed onto the axle shaft. The seal is relatively easy to change, but take a look at the bearings as long as you have the axles out. If they're sloppy or gritty at all change that also. I learned the hard way.

Ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:13 PM

9" have outer axle shaft seal only,

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:17 PM

You know, 3/4 ton, I only ever changed the outer ones. When I pulled the third member, I never looked for one in there. Why would there be two when the bearing is way the heck on the outside?

Ken

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:55 AM

how do you like your 9" nate? I'm looking at swapping one into my YJ. Is it cut down or full width?
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so far so good. i have not has any problems with it yet ('cept for the seal) and it came with stock 4:11 gearing, so thats cool.
Its still full length, and i like the way it matches with the front axle i have out of a 84 CJ...the wide stance gives it that real aggresive look ( and added stability)

'77 CJ-5 302/T-18/35's/4" skyjacker lift/9" rear end/warn winch...my little punkin'
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 06:08 PM

i gave out some bad info, 9" don't have any inner axle seal, sorry about that,
hope i didn't cause any problems, i change my other post also.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nate, What was the donor vehicle for your 9"? I have an 85 cj I am thinking about swapping one on to. Does it come close to that front end from the 84 cj? Thanks, Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, you are all dancing around the real facts of the 9". It has an inner seal (up the tube) and somehave an outer as well. There three different bearings used in the 9". One is as you stated, a sealed ball bearing that doesn't require an outer seal. The other two are roller bearings that you have to manually pack when you install them and require an outer seal. The three also have differant axle diameters. Keep up with what your donor was and take old parts with you when you go for new ones. the books and computers don't distinguish which is which and most parts stores don't have anyone with the foggiest idea anymore. CYA. Save part numbers for next time.

CJeep

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine 9" was out of a late 70's bronco, and yeah it does match quite well with the width of the CJ axle in front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode