Mysterious Violently Shaking Jeep Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mysterious Violently Shaking Jeep Problem

OK.. Here's the problem:

I have been having troubles with my Jeep shaking violently when starting from a complete stop.

It only does it when it is warm out, or when I have been driving it long enough for it to heat up real good. When it's cold out, the problem is very minimal.

The clutch is 1 year old (just past warranty) and only has about 12000 miles on it.

If the clutch did go bad the only reason I can think of is becasue of my 32" tires and 3.07 stock gears. But I didn't have to slip it that much to get moving.

Anyone have any other ideas of what could cause this when it's warm out?? Air filer? Fuel filter? Catalytic Converter? Sensor? I really don't have the money for a new clutch already (well, I do, but I have better Mods to spend it on)

Any experience and help would be really appreciated.

------------------
Steve
El_Jeepo
1994 YJ Sahara,Rhinolined,3.5" Superlift,33" Thornbirds,32" BFG AT,Tuffy Console,Pioneer deck,Pioneer CD changer,OYR rocker skids,Husky floor liners,Warn winch, blah blah blah yackity smackity

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:50 AM

Re: Mysterious Violently Shaking Jeep Problem

Did you have the flywheel turned when you put the new clutch in? In this shaking more of a pulsating from forward to back or an actual shake from side to side? Does it do it through 1st gear only or all of them when accelerating?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Big Ed is right about the flywheel. Next on the list would be loose bellhousing bolts. Third would be a bad input shaft bearing on the tranny. Check the bolts first...its cheap.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine shakes in first as well when starting from a stop, but not really in any other gear. i thought it was axle wrap as i have very soft springs. i did not get my flywheel resurfaced, but i only have 50k. could it just be axle wrap causing the pinion to bouce up and down thereby shaking the tranny?

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, had the flywheel turned.

The shaking seems to be a forward to back motion, kinda like the jeep just doesn't want to get up and go off the start. If I keep giving it gas, it just gets worse and worse. The shifter shakes all over the place too!!!

It only does this from a stop until I'm moving, then everything is fine... No problems between 2,3,4 or 5 (i even tried it with heavy acceleration between 2nd and 3rd but still did not get any problem.

The weirdest thing is the problem is almost non-existent when is cold outside.

Is there any chance the cat could be choking the engine under the initial load? or is it more likely a clutch problem again...

I'll check the bolts on the bell housing tonight (i wouldn't put it past the guys who put in my tranny, to mess up and not torque something down correctly)

Thanks for any help...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 10:52 AM
Official Historian

how long has your lift been on? did you retorque the u-bolts? they can cause a hard to find shimmy too.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:12 PM
Addict

Take a look at your motor mounts, too, a broken mount can cause this problem.

-Dana

Press any key... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 03:33 PM
FlMudCJ

buddy of mine had same problem on his '92 yj 4-banger . Turned out to be a combination of broken motormount, not the rubber absorber, but the mount broke off the frame. Also the bellhousing was almost seperated an inch from the engine. it was a wonder how the jeep moved at all...

Check your tranny mounts also... after all that shaking they'll have a workout.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:05 PM

Jeepman, yes I have seen axle wrap cause a "shake" under initial acceleration. It kind of feels like a rear tire out of balance, but this problem usually comes with some type of click sound, especially when you shift from reverse to drive and punch it. Was very difficult to find that problem on a 70's EB, but it was definitely axle wrap!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode