4.0 head conv cost? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.0 head conv cost?

how much do you think it will end up costing me to put in a 4.0 head on my 4.2? - i checked hesco and they want like 1k i think for a kit.

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 4.0 head conv cost?

You should be able to pick one up for under $100. at a boneyard. (with valve cover) Add another $100. - $150. for a basic valve job at a machine shop. Add the cost of a 4.0 "valve grind gasket kit", which comes with the head gasket, intake set, and valve guide seals. Getting close to $300. Now you need to seal off some water ports, and figure out what to do about the 7/16 head bolts you have, if you are talking about your Scrambler. Drill and tap, or the Hesco dowells.

You could also get some head for beer. I mean pick up a good head for some beer. Just go to your local dealer, and ask the heavy line mechanic for any good cores. Dealers usually have a few core engines laying around, which somehow become property of the mechanic who installs the engine. Most of them will take cash, or can be easily be persuaded to give it to you for beer.

Better find Tim Weavers site, and check it out http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

One other note, if the machine shop tells you that some valve seats need to be replaced, make sure they know what they are doing. I have had two machine shops destroy two different heads by cutting the seats too deep, and causing a water jacket leak. The clearance behind the seat is very close to the jacket. Make sure they pressure check their work when they are done.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget you'll need the 4.0 exhaust header. I'm at about $300 including the head (with valves,springs,cover...), exhaust header, all necessary gaskets, material to fill the water jackets and fresh oil and coolant. I've got a friend with a machine shop so the valve job won't cost me too much. I was willing to wait and got a guarrantied head from a local wrecker that deals only in Jeeps. If I couldn't wait, another bone yard was trying to get $400 out of me for just the head and he had no clue what kind of shape it was in.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:35 AM

Ahhhh, someone has been paying attention! Good ....
Mark Banks' machinist came up this this very trick soluton to the water jacket problem. He bored 3/4" tapered holes over these twelve manifold side triangular jackets and tapped in freeze plugs! Mark recently wrote and said he has had no problems with his head.
He and his machinist deserves the Gold Star for this idea!!!

See the 4.0 head article Tim Weaver and I created on my web site (below).

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode