Bumper/Tire Carrier - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:04 PM
joeybcdt

Bumper/Tire Carrier

Finally started my rear bumper/carrier project last night. I'm using 3" X 4" X 1/4" for the bumper. 2" X 2" X 1/4 or 3/16" for the carrier.

Are the 8 bolt holes in the crossmember enough for support? Should I find away of tying into the frame rails also?

Anyone have pics of how they mounted theirs? I was thinking of ripping 2 pieces of 3 X 4 and welding to back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bumper/Tire Carrier

Yes, I would definitely weld some brackets on the bumper to mount to the frame. Especially if you plan on towing anything with it. So how much did just the metal cost for this project? I will be borrowing my father-in-laws welder this summer to build one of these. Let us know how the final product turns out...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] WHASSSUP!?!?!?!?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 10:51 AM
joeybcdt

I wasn't able to scrounge any used metal when I bought the 4" X 3" x 1/4". Everyone wanted to sell me 20' for about $130.00. I finally found a yard that agreed to sell me 10' for $60.00...enough for front and rear. I still havent bought the 2" X 2". Luckily, I'm able to scrounge most small pieces around my friend's shop.

I don't see any way to tie it to the frame rails unless I tie in with the rear shackle mounts. There's got to be a better way though.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:13 AM

are you putting this on a cj? on the inside of the frame-rails behind the rear cross-member, there may be some angle brackets that bolt to the frame. they may have only come with jeeps with the cheesy tow-hitches. anyway, there is are 2, 3/4 in diameter holes on the inside (each side) and 1/2 inch holes on the outside. the big holes are so you can insert a sleeve. if you use these holes, use a sleeve. take a look and see what you've got. let me know if you need anything else! matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:51 AM
joeybcdt

Matt:

'84 CJ7.
I took a look under there. There are some L brackets with 2 bolts bolted to the inside of the frame. The other end in tucked behind the rear cross member and the exiting bumper is bolted to it with 2 bolts. Both sides the same. Existing bumper only uses these 4 bolts.

So, it seems that the bumper mounting is already reinforced to the frame. Ya'll think I'd be OK using the 4 reinforced holes plus 4 additional holes in cross-member?

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode