What would you do if......? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What would you do if......?

While in Baja a while ago my power steering pump went even further south. I found a mechanic in a small town who correctly (sort of) diagnosed the problem and showed me how to make a temporary repair to free up the stuck pressure relief valve. Fixing it 3 or 4 times on the way home allowed us to get home ok. Brings me to my question. If the power steering pump freezes up I would be left with no engine fan since I have a single V-belt that operates the vibration dampner, fan and power steering pump. If I had to remove the belt to eliminate the power steering pump, how could I hook up a temporary belt or ???? to use only the vibration dampner & fan. (1980 cj 258) John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: What would you do if......?

What about using one of those emergency belts you see in parts stores. The pieces snap together to any size you need. That might be a good thing to carry with you.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Duct tape can be used (we're talking emergency stuff here) to make a belt for this use. You couldn't use a "real" belt, as there's no way to adjust it to make it tighter or looser, using just the crank and the fan.

Twist up the duct tape so it's round, kinda, and go around the pulleys a bunch of times - should work.

No, I haven't done it, only read it in a 4x4 magazine, but it sounds like it would be worth a shot in this situation.

Also, I think I saw on an old Macgyver show that you can use a pair of pantyhose too - tie 'em up tight around the pulleys.

I'd try it if it was all I had.

There is a product, it's an emergency v-belt made out of links that you add or remove to make different size belts. Again, you couldn't really tighten it though, so I don't know how that would work in this case.

Just random thoughts,
Good luck,
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On our race cars we ran only a water pump, no generator or other stuff. We would just buy a belt that we could put on by getting it on as far as we could by hand, then crank the engine to suck it on the rest of the way......no tensioner was needed.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You need to set up for this in the driveway at home so when the time comes you just go to the "necessities" box and there it is. Accessories CAN put you outa the race if you haven't planned for that eventuality.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I once walked A LONG WAY because I did not have a spare rotor.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Never again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

cjdave has the right idea here.. if you have a really good parts guy.. you can measure it with one of those plastic tape measures.. and say.. hey.. i need a belt for a jeep.. but i need it only __ inches long..
the belt number... is a code in which it tells the width and length.. i used to know some of it.. since i dealt with a really good parts guy "cjeep" over this very issue..
and he explained it to me... but that was a few years ago.. and many beers..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 PM

You should have 2 belts, one that drives the fan and ps pump and the other goes to the alternator etc. I would try to find one for a CJ with a 258 and manual steering. Take both belts off, install the manual one around the alt/fan/crank and drive off. I have manual steering so I can't verify but maybe take a look at yours and see if the pulleys all line up to do it.

Ken

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why not buy another pump and throw it in the hellbox ?
They run about $15 (used) around here.

Just a little ole Cj, That likes to pick on snipers : )
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

belts take up less space.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i saw on a tech section of a car show one time, that you can use panyhose to make a quick EMERGENCY fix.
now i dont know what you would be doing with pantyhose, but thats just what the guy said...

'77 CJ-5 302/T-18/35's/4" skyjacker lift/9" rear end/warn winch...my little punkin'
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:05 AM

saw this in an industrial magazine and have thought about getting one for the extras box:

[http://www.fennerindustrial.com/prod...wist_ind.html]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode