84 CJ/Scout T19/D20/D44's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

84 CJ/Scout T19/D20/D44\'s

Ok guys,lots of great input on the Wrangler V8 conversion,now another option. I found a guy that has an '84 CJ with a stock 258,a T19 granny low 4 speed,Dana 20 tc, and D44 front and rear axles,most of which all came from a 74 to 79 Scout.The front axle has a lockrite,rear axle has a spool,both have 4:88 gears running 36x12.50 super swampers.He used the stock leaf spring locations on the front and added some tubing to the outer frame rails to match up with springs.I was suprised at how well it drove.My question is, does this seem to be a good drive train set up?I do probably 90% off road and 10 on road.The other thing is he wants $5500.00 for it.The body is clean ,some rust,decent interior,good frame-no rust.Also has a Superwinch similar to the worm gear driven Warn.But does this sound like a decent off road drivetrain or should I go ahead with the V8 conv. on my 90 Wrangler,and look for a rear end swap,tc,and tranny?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 84 CJ/Scout T19/D20/D44\'s

If the motor is strong and the tires aren't bald, I'd do it. The t-19 is the Scout version of the t-18...good strong cast iron tranny. The Dana 20 is also strong, cast iron, all gears t-case. Not much to go wrong with either and both wil take ALOT of abuse. The D20s only downfall is the crappy low range of 2.03:1, but if t-19 has the 6.31:1 low range and with the 4:88 cogs I wouldn't worry about the Dana 20...you'll have plenty of crawling ability (62:1 crawl ratio). The Dana 44s are pretty stout too. The spool is almost indestructable.

The axle setup is the same as mine assuming its SUA (i.e. springs outboard the frame). I don't have any complaints about mine at all. The Scout caster is zero degrees versus the CJ caster of anywhere from 3-6 degrees, but that has not been a problem for me. The steering just doesn't return to center as fast as it did before.

To build up your YJ to that solid of a drivetrain (d44 axles, t-19, gear swap, spool, locker, 36x12.50s) would easily cost you a few thousand on the cheap, more if your not doing all the work yourself.

I'd want to know the answers to the following:
Why is the guy selling? Who set up the gears? How long ago? Any gear whine at high speed? What brand gears? Who outboarded the d44? Was the t-19 overhauled before install? Was a new clutch disk, throwout bearing, pressure plate used? What brand? Any receipts (for the locker, spool, clutch, etc).

If the jeep is in the condition you say, I would pay $5000 for it.
Just my $.02.

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a great set up to me. Around here that jeep would go for more than that.

K-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with the other guys. If the 258 is in good shape and the body is in good shape then I feel it is a good deal.
The T-19 is a GREAT tranny and better yet it will have a sencronized first gear.
I would say go for it!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The T19 does have the granny low.The 258 has about 90k miles,doesnt smoke,starts and runs very well.He wants to sell so he can buy a hot rod and play on the street(yawn),the gears were installed in the last two years(forgot to ask what type)the clutch kit was installed over the winter,I will have more info this week end,going back for a closer look. The windshield frame & tailgate are new(steel),589 alum. wheels,front cage installed.He also did the SOA conversion.Again I'm shocked how well it drives(as good if not better than my YJ),there is no gear noise.Seems to be pretty solid all around.The best part my wife (definately not a Jeep Chick,hates mud)actually liked it.I'll keep you posted,again THANKS for the input!!!!!

Edder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode