Strange Jeep Dana 44 Rear... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Strange Jeep Dana 44 Rear...

I have the opportunity to acquire a strange Dana 44 thats on an old CJ-5 frame. There isnt anything seriously wrong with it, its been sitting and will need new brakes, no biggie. But its wierd, its diff is well offset to the passenger side. Alec says that it mush have been from a Jeep with a Dana 18 transfer case. What should i do. I'd like it in my soon-to-be-acquired CJ-7, but its too offset to use witha Dana 300 or 20. Is this thing worth anything to anyone? Or can I find a Dana 18 anywhere? I hear they are rare. Can anyone help me n this? Thanks in advance, you guys have taught me soooooo much....

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 06:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Strange Jeep Dana 44 Rear...

im sure you can get a d18, but there were like 5 different ones, different input shafts. if you have a 300 and a 20, i wouldnt bother with the rear end. just try to get one with a center pumpkin. unless you think you can unload the rear end.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:04 AM
I Do This For The Glory

A friend is running a centered diff in his '67 with the Model 18 transfer, 2.5" lift, and no problems (opposite of what you're thinking). You might be able to get away with the same, but I'd look for another rear end. The CJ-7 is also a little longer than his early CJ-5 , so you'd have more going for you in terms of it fitting. If it's cheap, give it a whirl unless you count on the jeep daily, then I wouldn't play around.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, i dont have a drivetrain in my 7 yet, and the axle would be free. It needs brakes, an input pinion bearing, seals, and a diff cover, as it has none and has been sitting outside for some time. I work at Discout Auto Parts with Alec and get a discount for being an employee, so it would be fairly cheap to rebuild. But if i want it, i have to take the entire rusted out frame, axles, tires and wheels. I can use the front axle, after rebuilding it and some new hubs...its only a 30...but for free its a start! So then would it be worth it to put money into this axle, or just leave it alone?its not as far offset as a quadratrac, but its pretty far over...

thanks guys,

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since this axle has an offset pumpkin, chances are that it only has 19 spline two-piece axles similar to the AMC 20 rearend. Those offset Dana 44's were only built one year (1971) with forged, 30 spline axles. If you build your Jeep based around this rear axle just because it's free you are going about your buildup all wrong. Stick with the parts you really want and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on them. Even with your discount this thing could cost a bundle to repair especially since you say is doesn't have a diff cover.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:08 PM

I agree with Snowtow. And the front axle will be a model 25 or 27 , assuming it's stock. The model 30 front axle wasn't used in CJ5s until 1972, when thy were combined with a centered 30 spline Dana 44 rear, and driven by the model 20 transfer.
You really need to find a centered model 44 from 1972 to 1975...

Lynn
'71/'48/'97
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 04:04 PM

Ok...here's a little bit more on it...the frame has an open knuckle narrow dana 30...the rear is a 44 of somesort also narrow track..
it has the one piece rear axle in it not the two piece (so that makes it at least a 74? right?) The frame itself is a 78 CJ5 frame...
definitley some swaps have been done with this thing. We'll probably just use some parts of the front and send the rear to a scrap
yard unless someone wants it. It will need some work though.

Alec

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, if it's an offset diff with one piece axles it has to be a '71 as long as it's not something custom made. One-piece axles started in '71 which were offset. The diffs used from '72 to '75 were also one-piece 44's, but had a centered pumpkin. If you do have a '71, it might be of value to someone who is looking to replace their two-piece axles. It will bolt into anything from the earliest CJ2's to the '71 CJ5's. It could also be used to swap into a narrow track Jeep with Quadratrac if someone wants to get rid of their Model 20 rearend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode