tire chains - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tire chains

anyone know where to get them? I want to do some wheeling in the snow next year, but no one sells chains because they are only legal for off road use. Is there anywhere online that has a catalog or something?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tire chains

What size tire are you running? I know there are companys out there that sell chains up to 35" tires. I called our lacal tire shop and thery told me they can get them. Why do you want chains for any ways? We wheel in the snow all the time. Just air your tires down and have a good time. If you want to do serious snow wheeling take a look at www.supertraction.com now that is serious. Top

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try a shop catering to truckers, like a truck stop. They run big chains on big tires. Or a tractor/farm supply place, they run chains sometimes too, on huuuuge tires.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

4 Wheel Parts sells chains for big tires. Look in any of the 4x4 rags.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out this site, tons of stuff!
http://www.tirechain.com/

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:15 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'll make you a deal. I have the cross chain but not the side chain (proof coil links-long). I'll make you a set in exchange for the side chain. Size doesn't matter and they'll be ruthless, a cross chain on every link (every other when the chain is flat), and I'll buy the snap connectors as well. The cross chain is hardened, and was used on large trucks for plowing, they are used but have a ton of life left in them. Check out the set I made my younger brother for his 3 wheeler. The side chain on them is 4/0, and you'd want at least 6/0 or maybe even 8/0 if you plan on using them for mud. Let me know what you think.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-371574-Image027a.jpg (77.8 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are serious about snow wheeling, you won't use chains. They only help if the snow is not deep, so you can dig to solid ground. In deep snow, I have seen more chained up rigs stuck to the frame rails then I can count. The group of guy I wheel with prefer winter time deep snow wheeling, over Summertime Rockcrawling, and we are wheel on snow deep enough that there is no way you will ever get close to solid ground. Some tips for deep snow wheeling. First, and most important, Ultra low air pressure. I usually start at 4 PSI, and the last couple of times out I have been down to 1.5 PSI, so get a good digital gauge. Second, you can't drive snow the way you drive mud, horsepower is nice sometimes, but not very often. Third, and almost as important as #1, Do not spin, as soon as you lose forward momentiom get off the gas, many times you will climb right back on top of the snow doing this. Ultra low gearing can also be a real plus in snow. The key is staying on top of the snow, because when you do get stuck, your tires are still at least 3-4 feet away from any solid ground. By the way, none of the guys in the group run chains, and very few even own a set of chains.

Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:49 AM
I Do This For The Glory

That is true, but for general trail wheeling in less than 2' of snow, nothing but a chain will move you. We have some trails up here we run with chains, and you absolutely need them when you hit the glacier headwall. Once you've tried chains in the winter, nothing else will compare. In very deep snow, I agree, you definitely don't want chains.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the offer JEEPN, but now I'm am wondering if I should look into chains or not...I probably won't ever run more than 2' of snow, thats kinda a lot. Should I get chains or not? What would you charge me for a set of your chains for 35x12.5 bfg at's?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Again, I disagree, but only because I have pulled way to many chained up vehicles out of some pretty serious stucks. Some of them where in fairly shallow snow. Once your axles start pushing snow, chained up or not, you are going to have a hard time moving. If I ever get a scanner, I have some pictures of my Jeep up to the front bumper in snow. Not moving forward, but also not stuck. You just have to get a short run, sometimes as little as a few inches, and try to climb back on top of the snow. Sometimes just getting through a short drifted over area can take a lot of time.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode