powertrax locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

powertrax locker

Has anyone had experience with this locker? I want to install one in the rear of my wrangler and am wondering about the on road/off road handling characteristics as well as durability. I have a detroit locker in my CJ and like it a lot except for the 1/4 turn of slop in the driveline when I go from park to a gear. The CJ is an automatic so the only time I even know the detroit is there is when I first put it in gear. However, the wrangler will be a stick, so I want it to be a little smoother.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: powertrax locker

I installed the Powertrax in my 85 CJ7 last summer. Within two weeks both axle seals started leaking. This was annoying but it was a good excuse to replace the two piece axles with new strong one piece axles.

The locker works very nicely. There is a little bit more differential noise than before and there was some annoying clicking for the first few hundred miles. But now it's quiet and operates smoothly. Of course there is the typical torque steer that you get in a short wheel base vehicle with a lot of torque, but you get used to that and compensate in your driving. This is because when turning, the inside wheel has the power instead of the outside wheel as in a open differential.

Off road it works great, sometimes in mild conditions I'm even tempted not to engage 4wd! The most improvement that I have noticed is on wet highways, I used to have to be very careful when starting out at a traffic light, it was very easy to get one of the rear tires spinning. With the Powertrax locked, there is just a lot of grip, the CJ just goes!

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode