Herculiner/Durabak Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Herculiner/Durabak Question

The Canadian version of these products is GatorGuard but I assume the instructions are similar. I want to get my tub done NOW , I think it better be done outside (fumes and all) . The directions say apply when the temp is 70 deg F or above . Where I live that may be MAY . Just was curious if any of you have put that in your tubs when the temp was cooler ? How did it look ? How was the finished product ? Thanks a bunch for any help

Jeff

<font color=black>Spring is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:00 PM
ibscrmbln

Re: Herculiner/Durabak Question

I did Durabak to my CJ8 a little over two years ago and it still looks pretty good. I did it in black. I also did it in the winter but in a heated barn where I tried to keep it up to around 50 degrees for 2 or 3 days until it had totally cured. The fumes are strong but it is only for a couple of hours. I do remember needing to take a fresh air break between coats.

There are now a couple of spots on the tailgate where the material has been dislodged but other than that it still looks pretty good after washing up. It does get a little tacky looking when dusty.

Later, Ken.

83 CJ8, 4.0 HO/AW4, 2.5 Superlift, 1" Daystar body, 33x12.50 GY MTs, 4.10, Lockers front & rear, on-board air, Durabak cab and bed, Trailquest tank, lots of small stuff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

That`s something I never thought of , that stuff being somewhat "gritty" it must be a real dust catcher [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Well if you did it when it was 50 deg then I should be fine .How much time do you have before the batch you make up becomes hard ? 15 mintues , 30 minutes ? Thanks dude !

Jeff

<font color=black>Spring is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:13 PM
sas87yj

zilla-
yeah 70 degrees is not mandatory. i would think it is preferred but 50 , 60 would work. i waited say 1 hour between coats- don't exactly remember but it was a longer wait than the instructions said. you have to wait till the coat gets somewhat dry. you'll figure it out. i did mine in the garage- it's a cheap high![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On a related note- How hot can you get the stuff? Is it good for under body coating? Near the engine in the engine compartment?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:36 PM
sas87yj

kurth-
oh yeah- undercoat and engine compartment would be fine. don't know how hot you can get it but underneath doesn't get too hot and the engine compartment would be no prob. i wouldn't hesitate.
steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:09 PM

I put Durabak in my jeep last year and the cooler air did not seem to do anything to it. Stunk like hell for days. After one summer in the sun it has already started to fade a little. And yes, it does get dusty and looks crappy. It takes me an hour with a water hose and brush to get most dirt/mud out the drain holes. The dirt just settles in and it's very hard to wash it out. I had dreams of just getting the hose out and being done in about 5 min. Yeah, right...

A fool and his money are soon partying.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:34 PM
ibscrmbln

My time between coats were like the others, an hour or two.

In terms of heat, it will take a lot. I installed a Flowmaster under the drivers seat after the 4.0 swap. It melted the carpet in spots where there was weight on it before I realized how hot the floor was. Built a two layer baffle over the Flowmaster below the floor to fix. Never fazed the Durabak.

Later, Ken.

83 CJ8, 4.0 HO/AW4, 2.5 Superlift, 1" Daystar body, 33x12.50 GY MTs, 4.10, Lockers front & rear, on-board air, Custom bumpers, rockers, and skid plate,Trailquest tank, lots of small stuff.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It would seem that Canadian Tire does not sell it any more. They have replaced it with something called HippoLiner and sells for $50 a half gallon. I don't know where else you can get the GatorGuard or if it's the same product....

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

> And yes, it does get dusty and looks crappy. It takes me an hour with a water hose and brush
> to get most dirt/mud out the drain holes. The dirt just settles in and it's very hard to wash it out.

Is there any way to filter out most other rubber 'grit' from the Herculiner before installing, so its a a little smoother?
Smoother so it cleans up easier, but still has some grit for traction.
Maybe don't stir it up too much.
Is the stiring before apply to get the rubber suspended back in the liquid, or does the liquid part also seperate some(like oil based paint).?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode