Ignition Module - what does it do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ignition Module - what does it do?

Okay - 1988 I 258; upgrading to TR today (Nutter Bypass already done). My question is this: What does the Ignition Module do? I notice all the wires going to the Distributor originate from the Module. Can anyone tell me the Coil's, Distributor's, and Module's roles?

I plan on adding a MSD 6A later this week, and I noticed some of their schematics bypassing the Distributor completely, yet others wired to the Dist. Do I disconnect the old Duraspark Module when I add the MSD 6A?

I'll let you all know how the Sahara runs after the TR upgrade (wish me luck).

I258, TR TFI, MSD 6A, nutter bypass
Farting is such sweet sorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Ignition Module - what does it do?

Basically it controls the ground for the coil. A coil is just a transformer. A transformer will not work with DC voltage, it just becomes a magnet. The moment you take away the DC voltage, the magnetic field collapses, and "induces" voltage into the secondary windings, and thus, spark. Think of it as "points closed, then points open", or "transistor on, then transistor off". The distributor does two jobs, first primary (low voltage), which turns on and off the module. Second, is the secondary (high voltage) , which distributes the high voltage spark to the proper cylinder.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:14 PM
Official Historian

I disconnected the connector at the distributor and hooked the msd directly to the distributor like it is shown in the instructions. I still need to hook up my tach since it was triggered from the ignition module.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you WILL & dorfs. I found at least three different applications which appeared to meet my needs, but that meant there were two too many! I was concerned b/c one was a 'swap' set-up for the Duraspark (p/n 8813 - Jeep Installation Kit), another was for a coil-harness(p/n 8874, and the third was for a hook-up from the Duraspark Module (p/n8869); hence, the confusion on my part.

This is why I was questioning the roles of the Distributor, Coil, and Ignition Module. BTW, should I disconnect my Duraspark once I hook up the MSD 6A?

I258, TR TFI, MSD 6A, nutter bypass
Farting is such sweet sorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode