300 case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

300 case

just picked up a 300 case for next to nothing, want to know if i got the early model with the shorter output shaft? Took a measurement from where the rear bearing housing aka. speedometer gear housing bolts to the iron 300 case to lets say the center of the rear yoke, came up with 5 and half inches does this measurment sound correct or alot sorter the late model 300? Also whats the difference between 300 scout case and jeep 300?

too weird to live, too rare to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 300 case

yes, they do exist.. i have one, it came out of a 1980 c7 that had an automatic. i think they are pretty rare so you'll probably have a hard time finding one. i think the output shaft is 2-3 inches shorter that the regular one

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

all 80's that I've seen have the shorter case, mine is a 304 auto and my good buddy has a 258 4sp (in manny peices) tcase is same legenth from front to yoke. We measured, not sure how long the later models are as I have not meausered one
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 300 case measurments!!

thanks for the info guys, but the problem is the cats i got the case from didn't know what it was out of and i have really only experence with 18s and 231s so for all i know this baby is out of a 86 cj. Markymark are you saying the on shorter earlier cases that the length of the front yoke and shifter housing should be about the same as the rear? My cases front and rear output measurments are not the same, got 3 and half inches from the front iron case to the middle of the front yoke and 5 and half from the iron case to the middle of the rear yoke! Are there any OTHER TELL TALE SIGNS that I've got an earlier sort output case or later!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might look at some of the numbers on the case. My '83 D300 has the date stamped on it or cast into it or something. If you get a date that's post-'81, its a sure bet that it's a long output shaft. Doesn't tell you for sure, but it's something.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44/M8274)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for all the info J, just took a look at my 300 and got some info that does not give a date but might help to find out if it is a shorter 300! Now on the iron case its large cast 00-15-2, cast a little smaller in same area 9257 and smaller is 80 I guess this is the series. On the bottom of the speedometer housing have 300.19.2 and on the tag is serial #019584 hope this info helps in finding out what the @#$R%% this is!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On mine, I didn't check again, I'll try to remember to when I get home, the date was in the format xx/xx/83. I'm pretty sure it was on the tailhousing. that would have been a casting date, not an assy date, but it's better than nothing.

The Scout case has the short output shaft (being an '80) and has the same bolt pattern as the earlier Jeep D20's and Spicer 18's. It's basically a bolt on replacement. A tad longer, I think.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44/M8274)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya J, looked on bottom of tail housing its stamped 300.19.2 I'am tellin ya i took good look around whole case and couldn't see any sequence of numbers that might suggest any year of casting. Your pretty sure you have an 1983 300, yo man if you have time on the weekend maybe you could take a measurment of your 300 from the tailhousing mating surface to the center of the rear york? Your measurment would be a big help in identifing this my 300 as either a late model or early!!! Thanks

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone that has workrd on early dana 300 recall if the front and rear output lengths are semeterical ARE the SAME lenght!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 08:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

something tells me that the output shaft on a regular d-300 is about 4 inches and the shorter one is just under 3 inches.. i'll try to measure mine tommorrow.. i keep forgetting

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode