hammerite - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

hammerite

Has anyone ever painted their entire rig in hammerite. Just wondering if someone has tried an ran into problems. Cant beat 40 bucks a gallon. Would I still need thinner or hardner?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: hammerite

I'm sure Jeepn will see this and respond. He's working on painting his Scrambler entirely in Hammerite as part of its rebuild. You'll definitely need some sort of thinner/reducer. There's no way that stuff in a can will go through a spray gun.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hammerite is the bomb. i only ever used it out of a spray can i didn't realize that crap was still around. i would reduce it for sure, not sure about the hardner. maybe you should paint the inside with that and check at your local auto paint store for mix matched paint that didn't get mixed right. we used to sell that stuff for less than 40 a gallon and all you need is hardner that is fairly priced
sometimes you can even buy generic hardner you can become a bench work chemist too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...hope there is no bad posts on this...I just painted my new frame with this stuff : P ....

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 12:37 PM
Way Outta Control

I'll let you know in about a month... I've got the ENTIRE inside of the tub and the roll-bar are painted with hammerite black... brushed in some areas, sprayed in others. The entire frame is silver, as are the brake lines, fuel lines. The calipers are silver and the drums are coated in black hammerite. I used hammered charcoal on the hinges of the windshield, and the chrome rings around the headlights are also charcoal.

The result is that I bought a half gallon of Safety Yellow to do the outside... and I'm just a waitin' for the weather to warm up to spray the fiberglass tub, fenders and hood of Jeep.

Thinner... yep, you'll need it. That's the part I'm a little afraid of... too much thinner in the hammerite and when it's applied to the fiberglass and well, lets just say I could see my dream melting right before my eyes. So far I did not detect any problem on the inside...but I'm a little more picky about the outside of the tub and fenders.

I'd suggest common acetone, or if you wnat to get fancy, buy generic reducer at NAPA. I've not found a hardner necessary with this stuff... it's great. It cures hard as nails, but you've got to exercise a litte patience while it cures. That takes about a month. If you want to clear coat, let the hammerite fully cure first... or the clearcoat will interfear with the out-gassing.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 12:55 AM

I use Xylene to thin the Hammerite with if it needs it. But it only takes a small amount. Leve, how good did it spray and what did you use to spray it with? What ratio did you use to thin it so it would spray? I seem to recall reading on Hammerite`s webpage they recommend cutting it 50/50. I`ve got 3/4 of a gallon of blue to do my exterior later on after it warms up a bit.

Jeff
<font color=red>`75 CJ-5,304,T-18/D300,</font color=red>
<font color=orange>SOA w/YJ springs,D30/D44,</font color=orange>
<font color=blue>Always under construction</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Leve-
Is hammerite the stuff that they used to paint on the inside of engines (I think that it was mainly on the heads) to help oil flow? If not, do you know what that stuff was? Do they still make it?

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Jeff, thanks for the tip on the Xylene. I was surprised at the amount of thinning need for the Hammeriter. I just kept pouring in the reducer... and it was about a 50/50 mix when I finsihed. I use a $30 Cambell-Hausfeld spray gun, so you can imagine there's nothing magical about the gun. I did spray some on one of the hard doors last year to see how it'd look on a vertical suface... and it was not a pretty sight... but then I didn't really care if it was. It's going to take a little more care on the tub.

JungleDog, Nope, I'd doubt that Hammerite would be used on the inside of the engines... You'd never get it to boil off fast enough in a production setting. I'm not familiar with what your talking about, so if anyone else knows we'll learn together!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 02:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks Leve. I remember my buddy back when, during the muscle car era, used to put this stuff on the inside of his heads. I believe it was to enhance oil flow because it would dry hard and smooth, almost like an epoxy finish. When I find out I'll let you know or...does someone else know?

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love hammerite, I personally thought about painting the whole exterior with it, but since have decided on regular car paint. (In process of stripping now,should have done in 2 weeks) I use hammerite on all frame, bumpers, undercarrage, full rollcage and firewall. works great.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode