Prep for lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Prep for lift

My 3in lift is going on my 94YJ this friday morning. I soaked most of the nuts/bolts with penetrating oil once and plan on doing it a few more times. I've torn open the lift and got all the hardware organized. Now I just need advice fromthe old pros! Is there anything else I can do to make the operation go smoothly? I've got access to a fully equiped shop (air tools, lift, jacks, every hand tool known to man) but nothing beats expierence! Thanks in advance..

94YJ-just started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:42 AM
sas87yj

Re: Prep for lift

let's see, a 3" lift. i just did a 4.5" so should be some similarities. i'm not a pro but might have a few comments. does your kit come with a drop pitman arm? if so you will need a puller and a pickle fork. do you plan on doing a slip yoke eliminator and longer rear drive shaft? does the kit come with transcase drop pucks? may not for a 3" lift. will you be installing extended brake lines? i guess i'm asking more questions than you are![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] watch things like emergency brake cables getting stretched and the vacumm lines to front 4wd.
steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let's see...Yes I'm swapping the pitman arm (done tons of research and still dreading it). The kit came with Tcase drop, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the brake lines. Have to see if I need extensions as it comes together. I've got all the tools needed (i.e. pullers)thanks to the Air Force. What types of grease did you use on bushings? I've heard a few different prefrences but I'm not sure it really matters. Already got Loctite!

94YJ-just started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 95 was a PITA to get the pitman arm off. I tried the list of things to do and ended up cutting it off. Careful if you have to go that route not to cut across any of the splines.

If you didn't get new brake lines did you get extensions for the existing lines? This works too if you didn't get or don't want stainless lines. The extensions just move the mounts a bit to make up for the lift.

You just move the mounts down an inch or two lower for the front, and move the block up a couple inches on the axle for the back.

Grease for the bushings... I just used the thickest sticky grease I could find. I think just about anything will work.

Just curious, what lift did you get?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a sawsall. The rear shackle bolts are put in from the gas tank side. It is much easier to just cut them off. Get some new bolts or just get some greasable bolts. Some lifts come with new(greasable) shackle bolts.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all for the help. The lift is a 3inch suspension from rough country.com came with shocks, pitman arm, Tcase drop...all in all a good deal. We'll see after it goes on tommorrow though. I'll have pics once my tires come in. Thanx again

94YJ-just started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode