What do y'all think of PowerTanks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do y\'all think of PowerTanks?

These (to me) look like a great idea. A small tank that will fill up to 40 (33x12.5) tires in a single bottle and is refillable for $10 at your local welding shop. Considering that the tank is only $300 it seems to me that you would have a lot of ten buck fill-ups before you got to the price of an onboard air system. Anyone have one or have had any experience with them?

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:25 AM

Re: What do y\'all think of PowerTanks?

They are the latest fad around here.
You can get rid of all the electricals for ARB lockers and use simple toggle air switches instead, plus air up your tires.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best air for the money as far as I'm concerned. If you want something pretty and fancy looking, then go for the power tank @ $300 or whatever it costs now.

But I prefer to save a few bucks for the same thing. I bought my equipment at a welding supply warehouse. Got the filled cylinder, regulator, hose, air chuck for about $100 total.

I've been using the same fill (5lb cylinder) for nearly a year and it's still got lots of co2 left in it.

On a side note, for the air-down, I just picked up a set of oasis auto deflators and they are awesome! Only problem I have with them is the other Jeepers that go with me keep borrowing mine. It makes ya lazy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Hey Aaron, could you tell us exactly what equipment did you get aside of the bottle and how it all goes together? I heard that the air flow out of a regular CO2 welder's tank in not the same as out of the Powertank. A little more detail please.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You just need a regular steel 5lb CO2 cylinder. That ran me $60 filled.

Then you need a regulator for it. CO2 regulators are more expensive over $100. I chose to go with an oxygen regulator and changed the fitting to a CO2 so it would mount up. Oxygen regulators are much less expensive, but if you want high pressure output for a long time, these will freeze up on you and you'll need a good CO2 regulator instead.

Then I screwed in a quick-disconnect end for my hose on the output of the regulator. My hose end also has another quick-disconnect so I can attach an air chuck, blower, or air tools that I carry.

The air flow out of the tank is all up to the regulator you get. I don't know what type/max pressure the Powertank comes with, but for that price, I assume it's a good one.

My O2 regulator works great for air ups and occational air tool usage. I haven't got it to freeze up yet. I leave the regulator set at 90psi. It won't go much higher than that without freezing since it's not made for CO2.

I mounted my cylinder on the back left wheel well inside. If you look close you can see it attached to the rollbar. If you want more detailed pictures, let me know and I'll take some when I get home from work today.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How many times can you air up with the 5lb CO2 cylinder?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They say about 40 times on 33's. I run 31's and have had it for nearly a year. It still has well over half left in it. I usually off-road at least once a month, sometimes two or three times a month depending on weather.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:41 PM

Hey Aaron, great reply on something I've been thinking for a long time. I've never done it so I never wanted to put in My 2 cents, since it was just an idea. I was sure you could do it for a fraction of the price this way, but did not have the proof. Thanks.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:41 PM
Veteran

Great! If you could take some pictures of the regulator and the CO2 and hose fittings that would be great help. I assume you got these from a welding supply place? Any model numbers or how should I ask for the parts? Also, what air tools and how long do you run on this?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aaron:
Thats what I call COOL...home grown cheap stuff. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing it with us. I think I'm gonna do this myself now. Great idea.

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode