Long Throw Slave Cylinders??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Long Throw Slave Cylinders???

I am installing a hydrlic clutch setup in my 63 CJ5. Well i got it all mounted and looking pretty, and when i try it out... the slave cylinder doesn't push all the way. I got the adjustable pushrod and it is all the way adjusted. I don't like this because it has pressure on the fork and it will be wearing on the clutch. This is the same setup thatr was used in the magazines. it is a cnc 1 inch throw push slave cylinder.
What i am looking for is a slave cylinder that throws about 1 1/2 to 2 inch. Give or take. I need a little more push, because it just about fully disengages, but it still chatters. Is there a vehicle slave cylinder that i can use. I found the pull type, but i am setup for the push and the pull type seems to be vulnerable.

Thanks for any help
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "caloosa jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:35 PM

Re: Long Throw Slave Cylinders???

Hi Dan, I can't help on the slave cylinder, but I would like to know if your club is planing any runs in Ocala,
any time soon. Thanks

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you getting the full inch of travel ? can you change the leverage, so that 1" works ?

Just a little ole Cj, That likes to pick on snipers : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I bit the bullet and ordered the pull type slave cylinder for the jeep. My buddy who is helping me said this would end up being better for my application. And from the looks of it, it won't be in danger from trail hazards. I will takes some pics when it is done.
Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,
Let me know how it works, I may want to convert mine to hydraulic. I noticed that my bellhousing to tranny adaptor has bosses on it that may accept a slave cylinder. How do you have the master cylinder mounted? Did you convert to hung pedals? My clutch only requires about 3/4 inch of throw to disengage when it is adjusted properly. When it is adjusted right, it always puts some pressure on the release arm; it is supposed to. I still have the stock linkage. It works just fine. Does the pull type cylinder mount to the T-90 on the side?
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Josiah,
I converted my pedals to the hanging kind. I got the setup from an early 70's CJ5. This is the best year to get them from, because the jeep body is almost identicle and the pedals fit perfect, with a little cutting, and you might have to lose the heater, since i tossed mine a long time ago. I got a master cylinder fro the brakes fromthe discount auto and i ordered the Master cylinder from AFCO racing products. I noticed on the T-90 that there are two big bosses on the side, from which the old column shift linkage would mount. I might tap these bosses to mounth the slave cylinder, or mount it from the little ball on the transfercase, the ball that the original torque tube rotates on. I get the slave tomorrow and hopefully up and running by saturday.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode