I need you reply!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need you reply!!

This has probably been answered many, many times. Here it goes any ways. I want to relocate my side mirrors to the wind shield but when I went to take out the bolts they just keep turning, turning, and turning!! How do I get them out? Thanks, Top

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I need you reply!!

What kind of mirrors are we talking about? Hard door mirrors, and new ones to go on the windshield hinges? Or are these already mounted on the windshield hinges? I have hard doors, but I know the bolts that go in the side of the windshield frame hinges have nuts on the back side that are a real pain in the a.. to get at. Not to mention the spray in crud they have up under there makes it difficult to get a wrench up there past the speaker which grabs at your wrench too...

If you can try using an impact wrench, it may spin them loose with out you having to get a wrench behind it...

In replacing my windshield hinges I had to drill some of them out.

Good luck...

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well first I think you need to give a little more info to let us know just what mirrors you are refering too...

'77 CJ-5 302/T-18/35's/4" skyjacker lift/9" rear end/warn winch...my little punkin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:10 PM
Old Hand

Also, if you would give a title that meant something it would help. I have never removed those bolts, so I needn't even click on it.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to help but dont know which model or year your working on, your profile is blank......

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to assume that the bolts that are turning are the ones on the bottom of the windsheild hinge. The nuts in the inside of the tub are held in place by pressure from the tightened bolt and some sort of rust-proofing goo. Unless you reach up there (very difficult.don't to it if you don't have to.) with a wrench, they will keep spinning. Very little room to work and your knuckles will hate you. If I remember, it was an 11mil wrench maybe 10
If its the door hinge bolts your talking about, mine came out fine. The nut should be tack welded in place inside the door skin. If you remove the interior door panel, you should be able to reach the nuts.
Hope one of these were what you wanted. If not, give us more info and someone will have an answer.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

More info would be much appreciated! I used a impact screwdriver and got all but two out, those two I had to fish up there and get a backup wrench on and have a buddy use the impact on them.

Swavy00

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, I'm sorry if I didn't give enough info. I've had the flu, got stir crazy sitting in the house, the sun finally came out, and I decided to go do what I like the best. Work on my jeep!! I did fill out my profile this morning, sorry about that. Now back to my question, It's a 1991 YJ and I'm trying to put new mirror mounts on the bottom of the hinge of the wind shield. That way I can pull my doors off this summer and still have a mirror to be legal. There are two bolts that hold the bottom of the hinge on that I need to pull out, I think you already answered my question by having a nut on the back side. Sounds like it will be more that a five minute job. Thanks again everyone!! Top

1991 YJ Islander
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have fun Top! and bring some bandaids[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:35 PM

And beer. Wouldn't help to have some friend there too so that the neighbors see you cussing, that they can see that it's not at an inatamate object.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode