Workshop Electrical Precautionary Notes!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Workshop Electrical Precautionary Notes!!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There have been quite a few posts about hooking up welders to the dryer feed and that's perfectly OK. It's even OK to pull one leg of the dryer feed for the 120V extension cords....EXCEPT FOR THIS....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].....you have to be careful about using one hot leg and the neutral of a 240V outlet to service the extension cord at 120 volts. THE DANGER IS......if you have OTHER cords in the shop, and they originate from a different source, you could be using a DIFFERENT LEG of the household 240V service for THAT set of plugs and cords. Now what you have is two cords laying side by side in the wet driveway, and between them they have the potential to supply 240V [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] since the black leg of one cord goes to leg "A" of the household service and the black leg of the other cord goes to the "B" leg of the 240V household service. Does this make sense to you guys? When you wire a house or a garage, you have to be thinking alla time about which leg feeds which circuits so you don't have 240V in the same bedroom.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Workshop Electrical Precautionary Notes!!!

That was a very interesting post. It got me to thinking about my 240v well pump. I tapped one leg of the 240v to power the water treatment plant and I have a seperate 120v outlet that I installed to run power tools if I have to work on the pump or well. Both are fed from the same disconnect. I'll do some checking tomorrow. Thanks for thinking of the little things that can make us have a bad day.

Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:03 PM

funny you should bring this up, this spring/summer i'm building me a 24'x28'ish pole building with a loft,
it's going to have an "I" beam for a chain hoist, maybe a pit, water/mini-fridge/heat/air?(fans)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] bla bla bla..... to the point, 120V and 240V(for welder & compressor) circuits.
i think i'm going to need a larger service/feed line (not sure of terminology)to my house, and then to my new shed and a second breaker box. i don't want lights in the kitchen/bathroom etc... to dim everytime i fire up the welder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
does this sound like the way to to this? got any ideas about this, or nifty electrical thoughts you could pass along?
also i'm sure i'll pay an electrician for this..

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:23 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In the hospital, we call this "same phase wiring". We have to be sure that all the electrical 120VAC recepticles in a given room are on the same phase so that there is no possible way that a patient can get "zapped" with either 208VAC, or in the case of the lighting circuits 480VAC. It makes for some interesting distribution diagrams![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

An interesting thing that might blow your mind is that around here it's in the electrical code book that Kitchen counter plugs are to be configured as "SPLIT Duplex Receptacles" which means the little tab that connects the upper and lower parts of the plug must be broken off and the circuit must be wired using 3 wire loomex and the two breakers must be connected with a tie-bar. This guarantees that the upper and lower plugs are on separate phases. Try measuring the voltage between the two right hand side terminals of your kitchen counter plugs. On mine there is 240 volts. So if you were sticking a fork down the toaster trying to get that bagel out while you were holding on to that coffee machine with the frayed power cord you'll get a 240 volt shock instead of 120 volts. That's the CODE for ya!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 3/4Ton YJ, THAT is a job for......SUBPANELMAN! What you will need to do is run a nice four-wire service to that shed so you have a "true ground" a Neutral, and of course the two legs of 240V power. That way you are all set, AND you can use GFI breakers for the 120V circuits that will be used for extension cords. Get a panel that has AT LEAST 16 spaces. You'll be surprised at how quickly they can fill up, especially when you have 240VC loads which use up two spaces each. You may have to be kind of creative to be able to snap in an extra 240V feeder breaker in the house main panel, but it can usually be done. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Max.....that is OUTRAGEOUS! And for a fact, the house we are renting here in the woods is set up with that very same arrangement. What a JOKE! I don't even like the tie-bar in 120V breakers anyway, and having two separate phases in the same receptacle is even worse![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:52 PM
jeepfiend

Good point. I usually only use my 120 adapter to run my 120V wire feed, and then it is unplugged. I set my adapter up so that the wide and narrow plug were the same polarity as the rest of the house, but I have moved. I will have to check my other garage outlets in my new house and see if I have any different phases running around out there. I don't need to get hit with 240. I am always a little nervous about electricity, especially anything above 120V.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode