4.0 vs 258 Engine swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

4.0 vs 258 Engine swap

Is the 4.0 a bolt in swap for the 258? If not, what all needs to be changed? Difficulty/cost estimates anyone? I also understand that the 4.0 HO head can be installed on the 258 to provide power gains, how easy and or expensive is this mod?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:39 PM
Old Hand

Re: 4.0 vs 258 Engine swap

If you search this topic it has been discussed extensively. For all the new users of the bbs, this is a good practice to get into.

Search first, ask second.

To search, click on search and define your search.

Many times you will search and find a base of knowledge. The questions that you will then come up with won't start at ground zero.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Actually I did do a search.. unfortunately it is such a broad topic that I pulled up far too many results that weren't related to what I was looking for. For example, when I performed my first search, before narrowing it down, I simply searched for the terms "258," "4.0" and "head". This brought up every single post you have ever made, as you have all 3 terms in your sig. I narrowed it down significantly afterwards, but found that in order to elliminate unwanted results, I had to narrow it too much and was missing the information I was looking for.
-Sully

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:57 PM

For info on the 4.0 head on a 4.2 go to www.shortwheelbase.com and look under tech.Its on jaffer's page..I think someone named timothy weaver did the write up.

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey sully, how's the search going
no one is trying to put you off or not answer but there are some very good articles in the tech section. they will give you a very good basic knowledge and then you will be able to ask specific questions.
so hang in there and happy hunting
from what i have researched so far i think there are advantages to keeping the low end torque of the 4.2 and adding the power and reliability of the 4.0 top end and fuel injection. the best of both worlds.
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:00 PM

Sully, I feel you pain concerning you attempt at a search in this forum. I have repeatedly brought up the problem with people's signature lines interfering with keyword searches, but people just don't seem to get it.
Invariably, a stanger comes to this forum with a question, and is told to do a search by someone who's signature line is chock full of keyword search topics! How ironic!
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode