Alternative to hi-steer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Alternative to hi-steer?

Okay, attached picture of and idea (I'm sure someone has thought of this already) as a possible alternative to a hi-steer setup for soa. Currently with a soa & 4" dropped pitman arm I dont have a real bad angle on the drag link, however, the 1 1/4" diameter drag link does hit the passenger leaf. Making a bracket like this one could have a parallel drag link/tie rod, and not hit any leafs if it wasn't too long. I know the plate would have to be strong and welded to tie-rod to support forces, but what else could go wrong here, what am I overlooking. Sorry for the rough pic, I could do a fancy CAD one, but they get to be big files.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-370035-frontend.jpg (14.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Alternative to hi-steer?

hey patrick
initial reaction is that it should work if you avoid the binding when the axle rides up and down during flex.
it seems after a short period of contemplation that it will take quite a bit more force to effect a turn. with a traditional set up you are actually only turning one wheel and the other mirrors, or trails along because of the mechanical linkage. additionally the arm is much shorter which means less leverage and that means more force to effect a turn
just my thoughts but i still think it will work, just how effectively is the question
way to get outside the box though!!
anyone else??
bob

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. <font color=purple> AND FINALLY PAINT <font color=purple> !!!!! Now lets break something!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thats exactly what i tried.. didnt work and heres why..
the drag link rides on rod ends.. the rod ends move. my entire tie rod moved a full 3 inches at the connecting point to the drag link.. it moved that far everytime i changed from a left turn to a right.. all that movement ate up steering radius and gave lots of play in the steering...
let me clarify... the drang link rotated front to rear a full 3"

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem comes in when the axle drops away, your draglink will turn the wheels left because it's too short, try some other designs that attach at the stock location, maybe a "Z" bar.

Just a little ole Cj, That likes to pick on snipers : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode