Would PVC pipe work for an on board air tank? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would PVC pipe work for an on board air tank?

I am probably going the A/C compressor route for on board air. What have y'all used for air tanks? Where have you put them? I know some people use the Rollbar or frame but I would prefer to use non structural compents. I was thinking about using several sections of PVC pipe(6" diameter). It has pretty high burst strength (I think the stuff in my garage is about 1" in diameter and has a burst of 600 psi). Anything wrong with this thought? Maybe I should fill one up to 120psi and drop a big rock on it from the top of the house and see what it does when it is smacked with a rock. Later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Would PVC pipe work for an on board air tank?

This was covered to some extent over the last week. PVC was discussed as one method and some said they have been using it with no problems. Anyway if you try the search engine or just go through the last week or so of posts you'll find what you are looking for.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 04:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is a one word answer that will save you a lot of searching: "don't".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 05:40 PM
Old Hand

PVC will work. I've been using it for years for air lines. There is different ratings for different schedules. It won't take the abuse a
steel tank would. Why not just buy a portable air tank? They are not very much and I've seen several different sizes.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got to go with CJDave on this one. Read that post on air tanks. If you pressurize PVC and then hit it with something, it doesn't break, it explodes into little pieces of plastic shrapnel. Bunch of fellas on a different webboard I'm on were using it for airlines in their shops...some with great luck, but a few had the unfortunate experience of having something hit the air line on the wall, and they apparently cause quite a bit o' damage. Go with steel. Oh, and while you're reading old posts with the search engine (search button on task bar on web page) look up the one about using bumpers for air tanks...it will cue you in on why you should only use specially designed and constructed steel tanks shaped in particular ways to store pressurized air.

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PVC is fine for use as an air line in a shop. It doesn't get exposed to the stresses that it would see in a Jeep. All of the vibration, twisting, and banging around that happens just makes it too big a risk to use in your Jeep. Find a steel air tank from a semi truck or another source.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 04:07 PM

I work with PVC, CPVC pipe all day long both schedule 80 and 40, from my 23 years experience with this stuff I would say you are putting yourself and any one around you to GREAT jeopardy when you pressurize this stuff, it has no real PSI rating for compressed air. It is highly fragile at compressed air pressures,80 psi and up, never mind the wall thickness of this stuff, you have to put some kind of cap on the end and they do not make a glue formula yet that will give the end caps or plugs the strength that is needed to contain it for an air system safely. I have seen this stuff used as air deliver in plants and they have paid out great sums of money for injuries to employees when they exploded. They WILL explode, if not now, they will later, PVC fatigues with age and gets more brittle with age, add UV and heat and this just increases the deterioration process. The glue also breaks down with the same properties. I would say again to stay away from this as a pressurized vessel.

GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 05:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is something interesting.....If the PVC shop air piping system is in a single-shift shop, and is shut down at five o'clock and bled down to zero, it will last a long time. CONSTANT pressurization is hard on PVC lines when they aren't buried.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode