what if.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what if....

it's me again... the newbie...

If I buy a automatic with the Full Face Tires and Wheel group with axle - Trak-Lok differential...

Can I still put Dana 44 on it later?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what if....

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

it's me again... the newbie...

If I buy a automatic with the Full Face Tires and Wheel group with axle - Trak-Lok differential...

Can I still put Dana 44 on it later?

<hr></blockquote>

Are you asking about buying this on a new TJ?
And are you asking if you get a certain tire wheel combo on your new TJ and a limited slip in the rear end .....If these will swap over to a TJ Dana 44 at a later date?
Wheels and Tires are a yes.......
Limited slip is a no.......

In the future you may want to include a little more info in your post.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:40 PM
Old Hand

Karrine,

C'mon, you're killing us. If you make the post's title more descriptive, it will surely get more views and responses. It would be like having a Classified ad that reads:

For Sale, call (801) 278-4545

Also, fill out the info in your profile. That way if your question isn't clear readers might better understand what you are asking by what your vehicle is.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry....

Ordered it last week-end... so.... brand spankin' new

Jeep TJ Sport 2001
4.0 L Power Tech I-6
3-Spd. Automatic, 32 RH
Axle - Trak-Lox Differential
Tire and Wheel Group - Full Face (P225/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler OWL All-Terrain Tires and Full size spare tire with matching wheel

How's that!

The manufacturer says that if I wanted to order the Dana 44, I had to go with the 30" Tires and with the 30" tires I can only get a standard. Something to do with the warranty.

So... my question is if I keep the order sheet as is (Trak-Lok and Full Face tires)... can I still put a Dana 44 after that warranty runs out?!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:23 PM
Old Hand

OK, I think I get what the question is. You can always add a Dana 44 later, but they can be very expensive since many people want to do that swap. Since the Dana 44 is much stronger, I don't understand how larger tires would hinder the warranty. If anything, the larger tires should affect the warranty on the stock dana 35c axle.

If it were me I would get it with the Dana 44 and then put larger tires on later (it would be much easier and cheaper). I'm still not clear on whether you can get a 44 with an auto or is it just an issue if you want the 'full face' tires?

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 02:33 PM

What is a full face tire??? As to the D44 vs D35, get the D44 and forget the larger tires from the dealer. Get them later at a tire dealer. you will get a much better and cheaper on the pocket tire. Maybe what the saleman is saying is,"You can't get the D44 with an auto tranny", "but you can with the D35". Tires should not be an issue with the tranny being auto or stick.
GP'n

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 03:41 PM

I think what he is saying is that if he orders the 44D they need him to get the bigger tire package which is
more money. And they also require him to get the standard transmission.

Note:

D44 and 30" tire combo is what I have with a standard tranny.

If you don't want the 30" tires and a standard tranny you will have to get the 35 axle.

So you end up with small tires, 35 axle, and automatic. You are much more ahead of the game then going
with the 30" tires, standard tranny and 44 axle.

So you will have to enjoy what you have on order and if you break the 35 axle than replace it with the 44. OR
you can add the locker to the 35.

1998 Jeep TJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok this is what he is saying. he wants and automatic tranny, who knows why. maybe he doesn't know how to drive a stick. chrysler wont sell him a tj that has d44, and an auto tranny. cause their modle that has a d44 only comes with 30" tires. my guess is they dont like the biger tires and the auto tranny combo for some reason. so just go with a 5-speed. they have more powere at the rear wheels anyways. dont they?

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:53 AM
Frank360

For everybody's information, please refer to Karinne as a "she" and not a "he"... I think most of you didn't notice she was a woman... Mes excuses de la part de tous pour ce léger malentendu madame Legault.. and welcome to the Money Pit universe...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 04:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oops sorry.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode