ford-efi-ed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

ford-efi-ed

the quest for knowledge continues..... i was wondering if the fuel tank in my cj needs to be baffled when i put the ford 300cid injected 6 in i have read that the tanks in injected vehicles are baffeled to prevent slosh and to keep adequate fuel supply to the pump ??????

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: ford-efi-ed

I'm not sure about the baffling, but I heard that you need to run bigger fuel line when you go EFI to maintain enough pressure.... just something else you might want to look into.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ford-efi-ed

Yes- the tank should be bafled in some way. Due to the fact of fuel injected vehicles that have pumps that will actually push somewhere in the area of 50 to 200 gallons per hour(GPH)! and up to 45 PSI! The gasoline does actually cool the fuel pumps so it is also a bad thing to constantly keep the gas low in the tank near 'E'. Due to the high flow of these pumps and the adgarvation of starving-burning up the pump or an undiagnosed stumble in the motor or a lean condition attributed like a carburator at a tilt it would be best to get a newer YJ fuel injected tank or a TJ...I know a YJ will work...I think you need to turn the tank to match your fuel inlets...and you might have to modify the in-tank-pump assembly(also get a new one while your in there) from your donor vehicle. Step 1-slide the pump in your tank and see if the fuel pump fits the round hole in the YJ tank...if not use the YJ one and fit the Ford pump in the YJ brackett, 9-10 times the shape is the same. If the pumb is longer you might have to slide the pump out of the brackett and put the tank outside the house and cover it with a wet rag, cut the bracket and weld in the appropriate length metal in there-make it a hair smaller than needed to allow a tight fit. Step 2- Just bend the bracket to make sure that the in-tank filter attached the end of the pump 'is' in contact with the bottom of the tank. and like the other gentleman said you will need a larger fuel line, match it to the vehicle you are taking it out from. That is crucial for the fuel injection, and cut into the new fuel line the 'factory' style 'high pressure' fuel filter and you should be okay.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode