Anyone read the 4wd & SU letters to editor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Anyone read the 4wd & SU letters to editor?

Wow, I think they have outdone themselves in the most recent issue. Last month they wonder about brake line locks. This month they question putting a 4.0 head on the 258 block because, "the 4.0L head allows the engine to flow better, it still doesn't make up for the short stroke of the 4.2L". It starts by saying, "We hadn't heard of the 4.0L head on the 4.2L block conversion that you mentioned".

The letter to the editor referenced Tim Weaver's article that Jaffer hosts/maintains.

This board is amazing. I was reading about this stuff 9 months ago and the 'experts' haven't even heard about it.

The misinformation put out by the mags is amazing.

Oh well, who is buying the mag for the letters anyway? There are some decent pics of the new Currie Fire Ant TJ....Pretty nicely done.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Anyone read the 4wd & SU letters to editor?

I've noticed this too, in a couple of 4x4 mags. A lot of the time they're behind in the latest mods people are creating or doing.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was a longtime subscriber to that mag, let it run out recently. Seems though all you see is millionaires toys or something. I will always keep my subscription going on 4WD&OR, and I'm thinking of picking up JP magazine. I have only seen a couple of these, but they looked pretty good---some stock Jeeps, some X-Treme Jeeps and everything in between.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 07:55 AM
Way Outta Control

I'm real disapointed with JP magazine. When JP first came out Moses Lundel was one of the editors and I thought things would be different. Now we could get some real world.... low dollar... field fix'n modifications that worked for the average guy. But I was wrong. Yes, JP does have pictures of old Jeeps, and an article or two of worth, however, it's still More of the same. It's still owned by Peterson's group and reflects the same articles as in the other magazines.

The reason no one ever hear of the 4.0 Head Swap? It's simple, they haven't figured out how to make money on it. Remember the GM HEI swap? It wasn't even discussed in the magazines until some of the fancier aluminum distributor assemblies came out for the 304 as a "new product." Then it was touted to the ceiling and advertising dollars came rolling in.

This has been on of my pet peves since I first started reading these magazines. Heck.. I can't afford to do about 95% of the modifications done on those Jeeps. But you all know where I stand.. so I'll quit whining...my Jeep does enough of that for me.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have a subscription to only one magazine and thats Four Wheeler. Not because its the best or anything, but because my wife got the subscription for me and I enjoy reading it. The reason I don't get the subscriptions to the others is because Petersons publishes most every 4 wheel drive magazine out there and I've found the same articles in the different magazines just tweaked a little. So instead of subscribing to all of the magazines and get the same articles I just keep the one and when I see another with what looks like something different and informative, I purchase it. As for the tech sections and information, the informatino in these columns will most always be based on advertiser based products, thats what keeps the magazines in business, and unfortunately a large portion of the readers like to see the hyped up trucks that cost 50k so they will keep putting them in there, just like the Ford F-100 in the latest issue of Four Wheel Drive, nice truck, but damn I don't think I would ever need a fully chromed out blown 460 to make it up the hill I want to climb [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That mag used to be by far the best print one out there, but changes in staff and management in the past year or so have made it really suck.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are all into show trucks, i forget which mag it was, i am subscribed to four wheeler, petersens offroad, JP. But it had a fully chromed out truck without any type of traction aiding device. I dont want to see this crap. I am fed up and i have turned to the internet as my magazine. I am letting my subscriptions run out. I mean they even review "trucks" that dont have 4lo, i mean come on, like these Acura's with their exhaust under the suspension. They need to get back to what fourwheeling is about, fabricating your own stuff is part of it, being inventive.

'85 Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I read that letter this weekend, as well. Thought to myself, "You guys are really out of touch."

It is amazing how much advertising dollars are spent in those mags. I wish that a publisher would come out that would do true tests of products, for better or worse. Don't call it the end all, beat all just because they advertised in your magazine. Stop kissing butt and do a good job. Those mags are put out for the bolt-it-on-to-fix-it people. Now I myself do like little trinkets to play with, but some of this stuff is rediculous. I don't subscribe to any mags, but every month I find myself going to the bookstore and buying every one of the mags. I guess that I am just hoping that they will come up with one good article. I end up pouring myself over the little ads in the back, just to find the best prices or something that I had never thought of before.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with all of you. I subscribe to all the offroad magazines I can find (currently four). Lately they have gotten away from trucks that are actually used offroad and gone to those damn four-chrome-shocks-per-corner show trucks. OFFROAD magazine is the worst for this. Another thing that chaps my ass is that when they do truck tests the real fourwheeler of the bunch never wins. I remember when the Hummer came out with the new TT4 system in 1999 and therefore qualified for Fourwheeler's test. But guess who won that year...The Toyota Landcruiser. Don't get me wrong the Land Cruiser is a nice truck, but Fourwheeler is not Car and Driver therefore they should be rating their trucks solely on their offroad ability. And in their recent "Ultimate Four Wheel Drive" article the Tacoma won over a Land rover disco. a Hummer and Jeep TJ. I mean come on! They said the Tacoma edged out the others because of its ability to go fast on rough roads. Well no [censored], youre comparing a pre-runner to three rigs more aptly equipped to handle the rocks and the water (Hummer). Sorry this is so long I just had to get that off my chest. I would complain to the mags, but they would just make up one example of how a real off-road ready rig won or one example of how they had a rig built for the rocks in their mag "just last issue" and make me look like a jackass in their letters to the editor section. So now I will just confine my bitching to you guys.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with all of you. I subscribe to all the offroad magazines I can find (currently four). Lately they have gotten away from trucks that are actually used offroad and gone to those damn four-chrome-shocks-per-corner show trucks. OFFROAD magazine is the worst for this. Another thing that chaps my ass is that when they do truck tests the real fourwheeler of the bunch never wins. I remember when the Hummer came out with the new TT4 system in 1999 and therefore qualified for Fourwheeler's test. But guess who won that year...The Toyota Landcruiser. Don't get me wrong the Land Cruiser is a nice truck, but Fourwheeler is not Car and Driver therefore they should be rating their trucks solely on their offroad ability. And in their recent "Ultimate Four Wheel Drive" article the Tacoma won over a Land rover disco. a Hummer and Jeep TJ. I mean come on! They said the Tacoma edged out the others because of its ability to go fast on rough roads. Well no [censored], youre comparing a pre-runner to three rigs more aptly equipped to handle the rocks and the water (Hummer). Sorry this is so long I just had to get that off my chest. I would complain to the mags, but they would just make up one example of how a real off-road ready rig won or one example of how they had a rig built for the rocks in their mag "just last issue" and make me look like a jackass in their letters to the editor section. So now I will just confine my bitching to you guys. P.S. The Fire Ant looks pretty amazing I am looking forward to watching it in some competitions.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode