Learning new vocabulary - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 03:55 AM
Frank360

Learning new vocabulary

I am francophone, and some terms I see, I'm not sure about their meaning, also I'm reading stuff cause I have problems with lifters and there are parts I can't picture in my mind....

What is a "flange" ?
What's an "SOA" ?
What's a SYE ?
What's the purpose of a bushing compared to a bearing ?
What's the "cylinder head", is it part of the block?

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 04:43 AM
Old Hand

Re: Learning new vocabulary

That's quite an open ended question, but I'll give you as much as I can:

flange: Typically this is found on a pipe or tubing. It is the rim or collar at the end of the tube. There are many places where something can be called a flange. At the end of an exhaust header the pipe is flanged to mate to the exhaust pipe which is also flanged. At the end of an axle housing there is usually a flange. A flared brake line is basically flanged.

soa: This is an acronym for Spring Over Axle. Take a look at a stock CJ or YJ and you will see that the spring hangs from the axle and is underneath. Picture setting the springs on top of the axle (it will raise vehicle 5 or so inches). People like them for large lift, but retaining flexy springs.

sye: Another Acronym....Slip Yoke Eliminator. If you look at a wrangler's rear drive shaft is attatches at the rear in a yoke with the U-joint. The front of the shaft slips inside the t-case and slides in and out as the rear axle moves up and down. A SYE kit replaces the tailhousing of the t-case with a fixed yoke similar to the rear. Then a drive shaft with a slip joint is used to allow the axle to move. It allows the use of a longer rear drive shaft to eliminate vibrations on lifted wranglers (usually used on lifts of 4" or more).

bushing v. bearing: A bushing can act like a bearing and provide a minimum of friction between two surfaces. They are commonly used to fill the space of two different diameters. The best example I can think of is on my wood shaper. Mine has a 1/2" bolt (spindle). My cutters have a 3/4" bore. I use a bushing that has a 3/4" outside diameter and 1/2" inside diameter. It basically is like a section of pipe cut off. Bearings can take several forms. Usually they are not one piece like a bushing. There are ball bearings, roller bearings, main bearings. The purpose of a bearing is to reduce friction between two moving surfaces.

cylinder head: The cylinder head bolts to the top of the block. It houses the spark plugs, top of the combustion chamber, valves, valve springs, rockers. The intake and exhaust manifold bolt to the head. If you are having problems with lifters, those are in the block, but can be accessed by removing the head. I wouldn't recommend doing this until you better understand the parts/process better. The lifters basically ride the cam shaft and push against push rods that control the valves. Get a book at the library that shows a typical engine and how it works. Most have the same basic components.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:40 AM
Frank360

Thanks a lot raymo,

my Jeep is sprung over, and the np231 and T999 were taken out (by an experienced jeep enthusiast) so the slip yoke is on the drive shaft now, I have a T-15/d20/d44 front and rear now...
I had found info on the net about the flange, and you confirmed what I had deducted... your bushing theory is somewhat what I had imagined, thanks again... and yes, I'm doing extensive research on tools and physical disposition of engine components to be able to fix that ticking noice my lifters do... I am also wondering if running the engine with this anomaly could further deteriorate the implicated components or have a detrimental effect on the rest of the engine... I have the haynes manual, and am an IT professional, so I know my way around the Net to get information on topic, but info on such topics are pretty scarce... thanks again for your time and patience..

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Franco.....you have NO IDEA how nice it is to see someone actually go forth with the intention of getting the terms correct and spelling them correctly as well. As far as the lifters are concerned, lifter noise can be caused by a number of different things, from a worn down cam lobe to accumulated sludge in the engine. Sometimes when engines have been inoperative for very long periods of time, the lifter which has been positioned with the valve full open will succumb to the constant pressure over time and completely retract.......retracting so far that the oil supply cannot pump it back up, even after the engine has run for quite a while. Noisy lifters can also be the result of valve train wear, like a rocker arm may be worn out and that would cause more clearance than the lifter is capable of making up for in adjustment. There are several products that can be used on an engine which has a "stuck" lifter......that's a lifter which refuses to pump up.....BERRYMAN B-22 is a good one. You pour it in and hope for the best. I used to buy GM diesels which had been parked for long periods, and B-22 was one of my best tools to use when bringing the engine back to life. USUALLY, there is not much concern as far as a loose lifter is concerned, HOWEVER, they CAN beat the valve keeper loose, and then that would allow the valve to drop slightly down, farther than normal, out of the cylinder head and possibly make contact with the piston and wreck the engine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:31 AM

Here's another one for you: SRS. Shackle Reversal System. Look at how your front springs are mounted. The shackle is on the front of the spring. A shackle-reversal moves it to the rear of the spring and puts the fixed spring mount up front. This is good for springs with more arch so they aren't trying to push the axle forwards over bumps, giving a harsh, jarring ride.

I highly recomend buying Jim Allen's book, Jeep 4x4: Performance Guide. It will explain to you almost all the terms you see here and many that we dont address. It will also be invaluable in finding vehicles to salvage parts from, or in figuring out what parts are on the next Jeep you look at buying.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:15 AM

I'm with Dave.
Welcome aboard!

---------- cut
Franco.....you have NO IDEA how nice it is to see someone actually go forth with the intention of getting the terms correct and spelling them correctly as well.
CJdave

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is one I'd like to see used more often...

WMS = wheel mounting surface.

Would be nice to use this when exchanging axle measurements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode