Carb OR vacuum advance unit for GM 151 4 banger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb OR vacuum advance unit for GM 151 4 banger

I don't boast about it, but I run a 151 GM 4 banger in my '81 CJ7.

The vacuum advance unit on the distributor is toast; it doesn't advance the spark anymore, probably a diaphragm problem. Also, the Rochester 2SE carb is old and no longer responds to adjustments.

NAPA or the cut rate parts places here want something like $375 for a new carb and nobody carries just the vacuum unit, they only sell complete distributors, for about $140. This is too rich for my blood, if you know what I mean.

I've tried Collins Brothers and I'll try Leon Rosser plus the local salvage yards in an effort to find used serviceable units.

Meanwhile, here's a few questions for the gurus on this forum:

1. A carb kit is only $25 but a buddy of mine indicates that would probablyu be money down the drain. He's gone that route and had to put on a new carb anyway. What experience or opinions do you guys have?

2. Anybody know where I could find a reference listing alternate carbs that might fit onto the intake manifold; this would give me more options in the used parts market.

3. Anybody have other suggestions (like other internet parts places) where I could go looking for these items?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. My internet sevice provider is having major problems now, so if you e-mail a response, please send it to:

<[email protected]>

Join the NRA! When they claim they need more gun control, just remember: Teddy Kennedy has killed more people with his car than I have with my whole damn gun collection.

<font color=blue>Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Carb OR vacuum advance unit for GM 151 4 banger

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A couple of things about rebuilding carbs. You wouldn't go down and buy a gasket kit for a worn out engine and put it in thinking that you had a "rebuilt" engine, so why do guys do that with carbs? ANY comprehensive carb overhaul involves bushing for the throttle shaft, building up little linkage wear points with a torch or bushing THEM back to size; and a LOT of other little time-consuming operations. AND ANOTHER THING....when you slip the throttle shaft back in and install the throttle plates, LEAVE THEM A BIT LOOSE, then gently close the throttle and apply some pressure to locate the plates AND THEN TIGHTEN. A lot of carb jobs fail to idle right for just that one simple reason. They either won't idle, or the throttle plates stick in the bores.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 01:43 PM

Re: Carb OR vacuum advance unit for GM 151 4 banger

isnt that the little "Iron Duke" motor? its really popular as a marine engine, and maybe a certain class of race car too, like the 2300 ford 4 banger, lots of hop up parts and aftermarket following for those
its not the kind of stuff you see in Summit, or JEGS cat, but its out there

there has to be carbs vailable, Id guess they would be dime a dozen in Junkyards, not In jeeps of course, but the typical GM car applicataions

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode