401 - need opinions . - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

401 - need opinions .

Well - I found and purchased a 401 - 75 Waggie. Now it is time for the rebuild. I am thinking a low rpm torque motor -I would like to hear some differing views ? I now am also putting in the d300 and tf727 - 4:56 gears with amc20 and d30. What do you think ? Is it time to take the lead out of my shoe ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 401 - need opinions .

A 401 make good low end torque, so you can use a fairly large cam and not lose low RPM torque. Here is the combo I am running now. Stock rods, and crank. Forged stock replacement pistons( aprox 10:1 compression). Mild bowl ported heads. Stainless valves. Competition Cams 280 magnum cam. Performer intake. 750 vacuum secondary Holley. I still have to do the oiling modifications, and future plans call for roller rockers, and an adjustable valvetrain. This engine pulls hard from idle past 6000 RPM, and I can idle it down to 500 RPM without stalling. When it is running right I can stab the throttle in 4th gear low range from an idle, and not have a stumble. I have also found it has to much torque for a stock replacement 10.5 inch clutch. You are making a great choice, and you won't be dissapointed.

Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know much about the 401, but I would imagine the stock axles might be a little weak for that kind of a torque powerhouse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea on the weak axles - I will try to baby them with the 33's I am running - if not - I guess it will be time for the $$$$ axles. I know I need em now but again $$$ - a little at a time. Had a CC 280 in a 351W and it worked well - FYRBALL do you have your cam advanced or straight up? Also - for a low rpm engine will cast Badgers do OK?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The cam is advancned 4 degrees. cast piston are fine for low RPM. The only reason I have forged piston, is because of the possability of N2O later on.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode